X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Opinions on Bogner Shiva

6l6 andEL34. what's the difference sound wise
    and anyone here have one of these. I don't play death metal
    or speed metal, mostly old school metal and a lot of fusion (greg Howe, tribal tech etc)
    I was hoping the JSX combo was going to fit the bill, but this has gotten my attention.
    I haven't heard one yet but all online reviews I've seen have been positive.
    What is the opinion on these things?
    [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]thanks
    Nick
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Re: Need Opinions on Bogner Shiva

they are nice amps. I think you'll get a niceer clean channel with the 6L6 version. Listen to some of the clips on Bogner site. Its a nice sounding amp, not a hi gainer but its warm and rich.
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Re: Need Opinions on Bogner Shiva

I used to own one but sold it about 5 years ago. I had the 6L6 version, but I played the EL34 and EL84 (do they still make that one?)versions (I was a Bogner dealer in the late 90's). I went with the 6L6 version because it had a smoother overdrive at high volumes and a much better clean tone. I would say that the EL34 version was better at tough sounding rock and metal, whereas the 6L6 version would be better for jazz, fusion, blues, and anything requiring a fatter, smoother, cleaner sound. The 6L6 version sounded remakably close to all the Dumble clones that I've played (Fuchs and Two-Rock...the Fuchs was awesome) but I've never played a real Dumble. I thought that the EL84 version was somewhat of a cross between the other two, but with less clean headroom. Both of the versions you ask about are more suited to classic rock and metal tones than any nu-metal or thrash...you really can't go wrong with either one, but for the styles that you mentioned, I think the 6L6 version may be the better choice as it is a bit more versatile IMO.

Comment

Working...
      X