I tried a few amps lately...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I tried a few amps lately...

1st was the Laney LC15R. Damn what a little tone machine that is. I'm wondering if I'll ever get a metal tone out of it because the distortion is very fuzzy. I had a DOD overdrive to boost it with but it didn't really work. Maybe with an MXR microamp it'd work (it worked fantastic with a JCM800 combo). But for midgain and blues this was gorgeous for the price. Highly recommended.

Randall RG50 (I think that's the name): it was decent for metal... It didn't have a character I found. Very generic tone. Very good for metal but nothing too special. The cleans were nice but again not amazing. It's a much bigger amp than the LC15 and it's not that expensive either. Well worth the money but if you want your own tone, I don't think it's the way.

Smokey amp : damnnnn these things are COOL. 40 euros for one, which is half the price of a Peavey Rage for instance. The guitar was plugged right in, you could get acceptable cleans using the volume knob and an ok distortion when the volume was all the way up. Very fun to use, and with an external speaker connection. Nice little gadget. I'm wondering if a POD going through it would blow it up?

The guitar I tried those amps with was...a PRS SE Billy Martin signature model...I didn't chose it but I was quite happy in the end. The guitar seemed to have been well set up, I noticed no high frets, the fret edges were smooth, it kept in tune during the 30 minutes when I had it... It really surprised me. The neck was a little too chunky for me but I could live with it I think.

Well I just thought I'd let you know. I highly recomend the Laney for those who want a small tone box. It really is well worth the money.
Working...
X