noise reduction units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noise reduction units

hi. i want to start using some of my single coil guitars on stage BUT i don't want to change the pickups to hun cancelling. specifically i want to use my P-90 Hamer special and my quarter pounder loaded telecaster. i play with a distorted amp and most of the clubs we frequent have/provide me with A LOT of 60 cycle hum. i want to get a noise reduction unit that will help lower the ratio of 60 cycle hum, without strangling the sustain.

here's what i've been looking at:

boss NS-2
    rocktron hush rack thing
    PA type noise gates

any input? anything that would work that i haven't mentioned? thanks for your help.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Re: noise reduction units

I've got the Boss NS2 and the MXR Smart Gate. They're both very good, but I think the MXR is a little better.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

do you use it in the loop or in front of the amp?
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

If you want the best one on the market go with the ISP technoligies Decimator. They make them in rackmount and also pedals. This was invented by the guy who invented the hush units. Check out this site for info and prices. www.rocksolidamps.com

Comment

^ I'll second the decimator recommendation; I have the pedal and I think it's better (more transparent, etc) than the boss and mxr equivalents (IMO)

Comment

The best noise reduction I've ever used was the rackmount Rocktron Guitar Silencer, which I believe was built back before Rocktron actually owned the HUSH technology. It has HUSH, but it is separate from the actual noise gate, and is very transparent. I never found the Boss or Rocktron pedals to be very effective.

If the Decimator does what the marketing folks claim, it's probably the best unit for the price...the pedal anyway.
            sigpic

Comment

i have an ns-2 and it works just fine for me to keep my righ quiet. for it to stop the hum of a noisy guitar you want it last in the chain in front of the amp, not in the loop.

-Mike
              www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

I've used mine both in the loop and in front with the same results.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

yeah, i tried mine in the loop and in ront of the amp last in the chain and it seems to be a bit more effective of quieting a guitar when it's in front of the amp rather than in the loop. maybe it's just me or my setup but it seems to work best there for me.

-Mike
                  www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

yeah, that ISP pedal seems pretty cool. thanks so far!!
                    GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

The MXR I have works pretty well, but I rarely ever use it. I don't have any effects at all, so I don't get much unwanted noise.

Comment

i need it to keep my single coils from buzzing!!
                        GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

I always put it right after the amp. That way you are killing the noise and not any of your effects. To this day the only one that hasnt killed tone is the decimator. Every other one I have tried just takes that edge away.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I always put it right after the amp.

[/ QUOTE ]
                            [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                            You mean you put it behind the head and the cab? Care to elaborate?

Comment

I've been using my decimator in front, I'll have to try it in the loop and see how that compares

Comment

Working...
                              X