Difficulty with my JCM 900

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difficulty with my JCM 900

hey guys, yesterday a band practice i noticed that the rhythm sound on my amp is awesome, it's the perfect sound for me.

But the lead sound is kinda crappy, not much sustain, no power behind the notes and just not satisfied with it.

I did use a SD-1 in front of the amp, but i kept getting feedback when i used it. Even when i turned the gain down a bit.

I need some advice, get the Line 6 Uber Metal pedal? as it has a noise gate built in.

Re-tube? never thought about that till now, what do you guys think?

To be honest i would love a ENGL Fireball, but i don't have that money right now, so i need to make the best out of my JCM 900. Please help guys.
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Re: Difficulty with my JCM 900

I think it depends on your budget. Re-tubing is a quick way to give an amp a good kick in the butt. Be sure to experiment!

Another option is having some mods done. A lot of the Marshall folks around here say Voodoo Amps does mods that make a JCM900 rock pretty hard.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      hey guys, yesterday a band practice i noticed that the rhythm sound on my amp is awesome, it's the perfect sound for me.

But the lead sound is kinda crappy, not much sustain, no power behind the notes and just not satisfied with it.

I did use a SD-1 in front of the amp, but i kept getting feedback when i used it. Even when i turned the gain down a bit.

I need some advice, get the Line 6 Uber Metal pedal? as it has a noise gate built in.

Re-tube? never thought about that till now, what do you guys think?

To be honest i would love a ENGL Fireball, but i don't have that money right now, so i need to make the best out of my JCM 900. Please help guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people when they use a SD-1 or any other booster pedal in front of an amp usually keep the gain all the way down, and have the level all the way up and the tone to where you want it adjusted.

Having the Level really hight slams the preamp tubes that that is what gives you more gain.... when you put the gain up on the pedal you are adding solid state distortion on top of the amps distortion which is giving you too much feedback. You will do better just maxing the level out.

Comment

thanks very much, i'll try that out now
        93 USA Soloist EDS
        USA HT6 Juggernaut
        Charvel DK24FR

Comment

no problem, dont expect like super distortion, but it should help you with sustain and get the gain going a little more. But if you want super distortion get the amp modded or buy a high gain amp. The 900's were considered high gain back in there time, now they make great 80's metal/rock amps.

Comment

trun the presence off and treble off. and turn the mid and bass all the way up.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

how did it turn out?

Comment

well i should be using the pedal with my Marshall today, but i did try it out with my Roland. Even with solid state, it really made it sound alot better. Much more punchy and clear.
                93 USA Soloist EDS
                USA HT6 Juggernaut
                Charvel DK24FR

Comment

how did it go?

Comment

Well, Alex Skolnick was using a JCM900 with a TS9 and his lead tone was excellent.

Also, what are your settings?

Comment

i personally didn't like the tone alex had at jaxx. it was so much high end and washed itself out. but with earplugs it sounded ok. it seems to me most people (including some pros) are setting their sound with earplugs in. this kills the sound for those not wearing any ear protection. but then those that are smart and saving their hearing will hear a crappy sound if it sounds good to the naked ear. its become a real catch 22.

oh, but the show was still so amazing!
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                      X