Operating a tube amp without a load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operating a tube amp without a load

At a gig a few weeks ago, an FOH stepped on my speaker cable and yanked it out of my Laney head's speaker output. It was out for less than a minute before I figured it out.

I know tube amps need a load, but was this long enough to cause any damage to my head? It hasn't acted any more or less finicky since this, but I haven't used it much, either.

Re: Operating a tube amp without a load

[ QUOTE ]
    At a gig a few weeks ago, an FOH stepped on my speaker cable and yanked it out of my Laney head's speaker output. It was out for less than a minute before I figured it out.

I know tube amps need a load, but was this long enough to cause any damage to my head? It hasn't acted any more or less finicky since this, but I haven't used it much, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt anything anything went bad if it still sounds the same, usually what can happen is you can blow tubes or the fuses used to protect them.

Comment

when you mean.."load"

can you be a a little more specific.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Were you playing when the speaker was unplugged? I've heard thats when the real problems can occur.
        It sounds like its fine though. If you're running a signal through the head with no speaker load, the output transformer can blow pretty quick, and those damn things aren't cheap.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          when you mean.."load"

can you be a a little more specific.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
          Were you playing when the speaker was unplugged? I've heard thats when the real problems can occur.
          It sounds like its fine though. If you're running a signal through the head with no speaker load, the output transformer can blow pretty quick, and those damn things aren't cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill was just being sarcastic there and a sexuall deviant, i think we got him all worked up in the Jani Lane Topic.

He says in his post that someone knocked the speaker cable out of the amp for about a minute, if the amp is still working fine i would say he got lucky and no damage was done.

Comment

"He says in his post that someone knocked the speaker cable out of the amp for about a minute, if the amp is still working fine i would say he got lucky and no damage was done."

Oh man, you got that right...very lucky!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was playing when it happened. When I stopped hearing myself, I ran back there and plugged back in.

Way later in the set, my volume dropped and I saw that two tubes were glowing hard enough to make my transformers cast a shadow, and the other two were pretty dim. I powered down and brought it up again, and everything survived the gig.

That was a gig from hell. My gear sounded like shit the whole night.

Comment

What's an FOH exactly? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

normally it's Front of House, but maybe in this case it's something more like Fucking Oafish, uh.. Harebrain? hehe

Comment

Yabba, you are correct on both counts!

Comment

"you just got lucky"
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

isn't that a dokken song??... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          isn't that a dokken song??... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

yep

Comment

Working...
                          X