Original JCM 800's Vs. The Reissues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original JCM 800's Vs. The Reissues.

Simply put, have any of you found a difference in sound between the new JCM 800 reissues and the original Marshall JCM 800's?

To my ears, the new ones are not as warm, but I start to wonder if im just imagining that of if there is any truth to that.

What do you think?

Re: Original JCM 800\'s Vs. The Reissues.

My thoughts excatly, althought it could be tubes too.......
    "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

I'd want to hear both amps with the same tubes biased the same and both with fresh filter caps. Do the reissue JCM800s use the same transformers as the old ones?

Pete

Comment

I believe not. The old ones have the famous "Drake" xfmr's. The warmth is also different depending on which 800 you have. To my experience they vary quite a bit even among the old ones. If you get a good one, hold onto it!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I believe not. The old ones have the famous "Drake" xfmr's. The warmth is also different depending on which 800 you have. To my experience they vary quite a bit even among the old ones. If you get a good one, hold onto it!

[/ QUOTE ] I agree 100%. The Drake transformers make a big difference. I have been through a bunch of the jcm 800 and they were all different. If you find one you like hold onto it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I agree 100%. The Drake transformers make a big difference. I have been through a bunch of the jcm 800 and they were all different. If you find one you like hold onto it.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

I have had several 2203/04 and they are not all created equal, even with the same year and same tubes. I kept only one 2203 of the bunch that stood out.

I'd like to A/B an RI next to my 83 2203 to see. For the price of the reissues,I put my money on the original vertical input 2203 vs the 2203x.
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

The price of the reissues just shot way up too. I was thinking of grabbing one - yeah like I need another amp, then the price jump. I found this:
              http://www.users.qwest.net/~wj15/current/tmp/bd_1_b.JPG
              and pulled the trigger. Ive never owned a 4 holer before. My wife is scared, I told her it was gonna be loud!

Comment

I saw that one...those are pretty odd for a JCM800. Tell the wife to run, those loud SOB's will kill a cat a mile away [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  The price of the reissues just shot way up too. I was thinking of grabbing one - yeah like I need another amp, then the price jump. I found this:
                  and pulled the trigger. Ive never owned a 4 holer before. My wife is scared, I told her it was gonna be loud!

[/ QUOTE ] I wish my wife was a 4 holer [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Not just any Drake as the Drake transformers changed in tonality from the JMP replacements to the JCM. They have had similar specs, but even the old JCM's transformers would change the character of an JMP if replaced... usually sounding harsher. (not mentioning that new transformers may sound 'unseasoned' in relation to an older one that had been in use for awhile) My point being that Marshall used alot of differing part number Drake transformers over the years.
                    The new ones, I have no clue..I haven't even tried one. They're probably made in China along with the celestions that go into the cabs.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol! [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Comment

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the 4th hole? *shudder*

Pete

Comment

------------------------------------------
                          What's the 4th hole? *shudder*

------------------------------------------

That's why it's just a wish. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Came today! Whoa Nelly. JCM800 model 1959. With my Jap DS-1 and a sprinkle of chorus it sounds like the roof is caving in. Clear, clean, deep and powerful. Brand new, stored in a garage since 1992. Awesome, not a mark on it.

Comment

I have heard the newer ones sound better once you replace the tubes. I have heard they sound thicker with the newer type caps. I think i read that on the marshall forum, this link here, but of course that is one persons opinion. http://www.marshallampforum.com/foru...cm800+reissues

Comment

Working...
                            X