Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• building my own 1x12" cab

hello

long time no see here, have been on vacation and before that I have been busy building a set of 1x12" cabs. it is my first woodwork ever, so there are flaws and I am not yet finished, but I already have some pics.

in the first place, why build my own cabs? answer: manufactured high quality cabs are so waaaay overpriced in europe, that I have been looking for alternatives. on a dutch board some guys were making their own stuff and posted about it on gitaarforum.nl, and I decided to give it a shot myself. I ordered a secondhand Celestion V30 and I had a Bedrock 100 watt speaker from another cab, so I started designing. I choose the measures of an Engl standard 1x12" cab with the wideth of a Mesa widebody. the result is a pretty solid sized 1x12" cab. I used finnish birch ply and constructed it with some advice from a couple of more experienced guys.

the wood, sawed to the right size. everybody, note the cat, that is my burmese cat Pippin (right, named afther the LotR character)

basic idea, not put together permanently, but giving the idea. I must say, the size struck me, bigger than imagined.

baffles, the speakerhole sawn out.

constructionwork in progress

still constructing

though not too easy, the best way to measure is to do so on the piece of wood that is supposed to fit in there

how to put pressure on a box that is being glued???? put your amp on it: lots of kilo's and the prober size, at least in my case.

the result (first cab)

tadaaa, we have a couple. okay, the baffles are not yet screwed to the box, the speakers are not in yet, the wiring has some flaws and there is no sign of tolex etc what so ever.... I know, but these are on its way from germany, so I have to wait a little. anyway, the cabse are constructionwise more or less identical (second one is slighlty more accurate built) and there will be different speakers. I am curious about the differences and when I can I will make some audioclips and pics when done completely.

Harrald
Working...
X