BALANCED 12AX7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BALANCED 12AX7?

What do you guys think about having a 12ax7 balanced for the phase inverter (v3) position. I was going to order some new tubes and the guy suggested this to me. I tried getting some info on it and its really a double edged sword, some swear by it and others say its just a way to get a few extra dollars out of you. I know that no amp manufactures use them. Whether its just to save money on tubes or they think a balanced triod is bullshit I dont know. What do you guys think?

Re: BALANCED 12AX7?

I go for the balanced inverter tube on all my amps. Its only $2.00 more. It was recommended to me by several amp builders and tube sellers and for $2.00 I figured what the heck.

Comment

I know. Its not the extra money at all. I just always wondered if you can hear a difference? I mean is it just for piece of mind?

Comment

I can't tell the difference but better to take advise from the professionals. Bob at Eurotubes recommended it to me. I get all my tubes from him and he hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Comment

Yea, Bob also told me to get one. Then I talked to a guy at the tube store and he told me its all bullshit. I also heard that the first company to come out with the whole balanced triode was Groove Tube, and we all know what a rip off they are. I haven 3 heads, 2 are running 9th gen Chinese and 1 is running JJ's. None of them have a PI. I put one in and never noticed any difference.

Comment

You'll only really get the effect if the value of the resistors in the phase inverter are matched too... and vintage amps (and many newer commercial amps) use 5-20% tolerance parts. If it makes you feel better go ahead, but I wouldn't stress about it. It's more of a 'hi/fi' thing anyways - and a guitar amp is far FAR from hi fidelity.

Just my 2 cents.

Pete

Comment

*****I haven 3 heads, 2 are running 9th gen Chinese and 1 is running JJ's. None of them have a PI.*****

Unless your heads are single ended amps (like a Fender Champ), then they absolutly DO have a PI.

Comment

*****What do you guys think about having a 12ax7 balanced for the phase inverter (v3) position.*****

It's BS. We are talking guitar amps, not HiFi amps, where it MIGHT make a difference in a super high end system.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  *****I haven 3 heads, 2 are running 9th gen Chinese and 1 is running JJ's. None of them have a PI.*****

Unless your heads are single ended amps (like a Fender Champ), then they absolutly DO have a PI.

[/ QUOTE ] What are you talking about? I know for a fact that I didnt put a balanced tube in.

Comment

thebisch, paul ment that he didn't put a balanced tube in his PI tube spot. alot of people just call them "PI tubes" sometimes, even though it's just a regular tube, just inverting a 180 phase.

if i'm ordering a set, and it comes with it, then sure. why not? i have one in my boogie from JJ right now. just for piece of mind i guess.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      thebisch, paul ment that he didn't put a balanced tube in his PI tube spot. alot of people just call them "PI tubes" sometimes, even though it's just a regular tube, just inverting a 180 pha
                      if i'm ordering a set, and it comes with it, then sure. why not? i have one in my boogie from JJ right now. just for piece of mind i guess.

[/ QUOTE ] Yea,but do you notice any difference in the tone?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I haven 3 heads, 2 are running 9th gen Chinese and 1 is running JJ's. None of them have a PI.

[/ QUOTE ]
                        All tube amps except for small single ended amps like a Gibson GA5 or Fender Champ have a phase inverter.
                        And as for the balanced issue, I challenge anyone to find a tonal difference. If you can than your ears are better than mine or anyone else that I know. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I think it's just a way of milking a few extra bucks for a tube.

Comment

If I bought tubes all the time I would go without it but for the rare occasion I do a tube change I have no problem with "splurging" for the extra $2.00 for a balanced tube.

Comment

You don't need a balanced PI tube, but for a couple bucks it isn't going to hurt. Most of the common amps use a long tailed phase inverter circuit which is self balancing. The circuit is also deliberately skewed to help make up for the imbalance in the output transformer winding.
                            Jerry
                            FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Working...
                            X