Fan in a head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan in a head?

I've figured out that if I use my Laney head for much more than an hour, it overheats. I'm thinking the heat from the tubes just gets the connections on some PCB-mounted components just hot enough to get a bit gooey. After that, tone and volume plummet. I was thinking about putting a fan in it. Anybody ever done this?

Some questions:
    -How did you do it?
    -Where did you aim the fan?
    -How did you supply power?
    -Did you draw cool air in or blow hot air out?
    -Did it work?

Thanks!

Re: Fan in a head?

I use a clip on 6 inch osilating fan for my Marshall works great and under 10 bucks I clip it to mt rack case
    www.myspace.com/goreality1

Comment

I think Magh8 has the easiest idea.
      I've seen people cut holes in the end of a head and install a muffin style fan in there. I'm pretty sure they're installed to blow hot air out so fresh air is drawn across the tubes. I'll be damned if I know where they connect the power. Most of the fans I've seen like this are 12VDC.

Comment

They do have 110 volts ones, I have one here somewhere.

Comment

Run a 12v fan, rectify and filter your filament voltage for 8v or so, and it will move enough air and not cause as much noise as running a 110v fan.

Pete

Comment

i buy 110 volt fans and run it off a seperate power supply, i dont know about you guys but i play my amp so loud the noise the fan makes does not really bother me. Since i dont have it connected to the amp (in part of the circuit) i get no noise either coming through the amp

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Run a 12v fan, rectify and filter your filament voltage for 8v or so, and it will move enough air and not cause as much noise as running a 110v fan.

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Pete. Hey, do you think my diagnosis of this problem holds water or is it completely half-baked?

Comment

i always used a 6" clip on. with no problems.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

always wondered why they did use 'em in rackmount poweramps and never in a head... anyone can enlighten me there?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    always wondered why they did use 'em in rackmount poweramps and never in a head... anyone can enlighten me there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Rackmount heads are usually smaller with less ventilation, with normal heads you have vents on the top as well as the back and possibly the front. With Rackmounts there is something usually on top of the head. Not to mention racks in general produce more heat depending on amount of equiptment installed.

Comment

Your analysis is reasonable on it. I used to have to do this with a Peavey amp I used when in high school. It was only a problem with high temps, but we practised upstairs in a house without AC. The amp would shut down after 15-30 minutes if I didn't run a fan behind it to keep everything cooled off. It was a combo, so I just set a big house fan behind it! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X