Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought an ADA MP-1!

Hey guys,

Well, I just sent the money order for a modded ADA MP-1. I can't wait to get it! (It'll probably be next week sometime, since I have to wait for the seller to receive the MO, then ship it). [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

It's a Mod 4, Mk II, with a new battery, battery mod, noise mod, new rear jack input mod, new EPROM software update, and JJ high gain tubes, and a 4.10 rear end. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Uh, wait a minute, that last part's not right. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I actually don't even know what half of the mods mean (got the list from the seller), except that I understand the Mod 4 is second only to the 3TM mod in terms of high gain metal assault capability, and the 3TMs I've seen have been pricier. I hear the unit as a whole is supposed to sound like hot rodded Marshall JCM 800, and that sounds great to me! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

For now, I'll be connecting this to my Marshall Valvestate (don't laugh) power amp and 1960A cab. I hear these MP-1s benefit from the use of a BBE (362 being the most well-suited, as I recall), and I s'pose a real tube power amp sometime down the road. I do have a Behringer (quit laughing) Ultrafex Pro, which is kind of like a BBE knock-off, so I'll probably try throwing that in the chain. And I'll also probably connect my Pod XT Live for effects if I can figure out how to do it.

If anyone out there has tips on how to best utilize the MP-1 to reach sonic nirvana, I'm all ears.
    [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Re: Just bought an ADA MP-1!

Get yourself a tube poweramp. Mesa 20/20, Carvin T100, Peavey 50/50 or 60/60. If you dump the SS poweramp and get a tube poweramp you will not need a BBE. I know from personal experience. Nothing wakes an MP-1 up better than a tube poweramp.

Comment

I agree with the tube power amp (I run mine through a Mesa 2:90) but the BBE still makes a HUGE difference. In the late 80's and most of the 90's I used the 422, but I recently upgraded to the 482i. This is the unit I would recommend, not the 362 which I believe is mono.
      Another tip is not to use huge cuts or boosts with the EQ. Most of the best tones that I've gotten (for live application) have been with minimal variations off of a flat EQ. I got this tip from Vito Bratta (who used this unit almost exclusively with White Lion) after a gig in central PA, and I also read where Paul Gilbert made a similar statement. I'd be happy to let you hear the difference between the same settings with and without the BBE engaged...you'll be amazed. Let me know. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I'd like top hear those clips and eq variations with a BBE.
        I've used an aural exciter C2 with mine as well with good results. The problem with the ADA I found is the effects loop didn't seem the best so I just eventually ran it w/o one.

Comment

A BBE certainly can't hurt. The 482i is sweet.

Comment

Thanks, guys! I really appreciate your advice, and I would love to hear those clips!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              The problem with the ADA I found is the effects loop didn't seem the best so I just eventually ran it w/o one.

[/ QUOTE ]
              The effects loop is worthless. Effects should be placed between the pre amp and power amp, which is where the loop is on a normal amp. I never understood the purpose of the loop on the ADA, especially since there was no direct recording function on the originals. It makes a bit more sense on the reissues but it is still not necessary.

Comment

The loop on the ADA has its own volume knob. Learning how to work that knob yields more enjoyment out of it.

As for the POD, run the Send from the ADA into the Return of the POD, then the Out of the POD into the Return of the ADA.

And yeah, a tube power amp really does make a difference with the MP-1, though I'd get an external EQ unless you like that glassy, brittle, raspy kinda distortion [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you like that one JG? i think it's a little over the top as opposed to the older ones.
                  Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

+1 Tommy, too much Sizzle...

422 era was it for me.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you like that one JG? i think it's a little over the top as opposed to the older ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you REALLY need to enhance your tone, the 482i does the trick. It is certainly way over the top and I wouldn't recommend it for use with a good tube amp.
                      I still contend that he won't need one if he uses the MP-1 with a good all tube poweramp.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        The loop on the ADA has its own volume knob. Learning how to work that knob yields more enjoyment out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt, I think you are setting yourself up here.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

anyways, it's not how the send-return was set..it was the fact the circuit seem to alter the tonal character when it had something plugged into it, ie; I likened it to a tone sucker.

Comment

That's why I said "that" knob, not "THE" knob [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But then sometimes the way it alters the tone can be used to achieve new tones that are unobtainable otherwise - by running a volume pedal through the loop of my Digitech GSP21 and setting the loop's function to Inline+Summed, the signal goes from the preamp to the FX stage AND from the preamp straight to the Output at the same time, yielding a phased signal that sounds a lot like Michael Schenker's tone on the first MSG album, and that's the only way to get that tone out of the unit [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I never really noticed a drastic difference in tonal quality using the MP-1's loop, though.
                          Maybe it's whatever you put in the loop that affects it?
                          But even then, since there seems to be a problem with my ADA's loop knob, I usually run out of the A/B outs into my Digitech TSR-12, also because the TSR is Stereo In/Out, and the loop is Mono Send. Plus I can run into two different units at once, or dump one of the ADA's channels straight into the recorder and blend the tones that way.
                          Definitely get more tonal options that way.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well that is creative thinking at work..making use of what you have for something old and something new. A+

Comment

Working...
                            X