Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heads that can handle 2 ohm minimum load?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heads that can handle 2 ohm minimum load?

My plan to use my two existing Peavey 212ST cabs to form a "compact stack" faces defeat, as the cabs are 4 ohms each and all of the heads I'd been considering have 4/8/16 ohm outs. I believe I saw a Mesa head on eBay that would run two 4 ohm cabs (2 ohm load) but can't remember what model. I would also be interested in knowing which rackmount power amps are capable of this.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! I'm reluctant to rewire the cabs as they currently work fine matched with combo amps. I'm just looking to add a few options to my setup.
    sigpic

Re: Heads that can handle 2 ohm minimum load?

You will need to rewire your 2 x 12 cabinets. If they are 4 ohms that means you have 8 ohm speakers in them. Wire them for 16 ohms, install an out jack on one of them and daisy chain them. That will give you an 8 ohm load. Or, you can use them as 16 ohm cabs.
    I believe some bass amps can handle 2 ohms but I don't know of any guitar amps.

Comment

I think some of the vintage fenders would run a 2 ohm load, but you'd spend a ton of $ for one. Better off to rewire as JG recommends.

Pete

Comment

I may be ignorant of something here, but I think it might be easier to connect the cabs in series with each other

Comment

Working...
        X