Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How should I arrange Boss pedals and why, please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How should I arrange Boss pedals and why, please?

I was wondering if I could get some advice on what is the best order to arrange my boss pedals. I currently use a flanger, super overdrive, eq-7, noise gate, in that order. I also have an Ernie Ball VP-Jr to start the chain, using the tuner out to go to a Boss TU-2.

Thanks, Dave

Re: How should I arrange Boss pedals and why, please?

Put the Flanger between the EQ and Noise Gate. Everything else looks good.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Re: How should I arrange Boss pedals and why, plea

+1 Newc is right. Running the flanger after the eq will give you more control over your initial tone.
      -Rick

Comment

In general, you should run volume pedals, then compressors, then EQs, then any overdrive or distortion devices, then modulation (flange, chorus, phase), then delay and/or reverb, and finally the noise gate. Wahs can be added to taste anywhere between the volume pedal and the delay according to taste. Putting a wah after an overdrive will give it a more pronounced effect. The biggest thing to remember is to have any effect that alters the signal (flanger, delay, chorus, etc) after any effect that boosts the signal (eq, overdrive, etc).

Comment

Rupe's got it pretty good, but do what sounds good to you. Personally I'd try the EQ before and and after the OD, and I'd move the delay after the noise gate. I like to have my delays decay naturally and depending on how the noise gate is set, it may trigger and chop off your delay's repeats.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I like to have my delays decay naturally and depending on how the noise gate is set, it may trigger and chop off your delay's repeats.

[/ QUOTE ]
            Good point. I set mine so this is not an issue, but it was a good thing to bring up [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

EQ is a preamp effect, and comes after the overdrive. It is used to shape the tone once it's been overdriven/distorted and prior to being effected or amplified. Running an EQ pedal/effect on a guitar before the OD will most certainly yield lots more noise and hiss, and your Noise Gate will be set so high that it'll cut off sustained notes and softer passages.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

When I run an EQ, it almost always comes before OD, but I try to run OD pedals that are as transparent as possible. I want my EQ curve set from the pickups, selector switch, and pedal before I add any dirt. Ideally I'd run EQ pedals on each side of my pre-amp gain stages, but I can't imagine the noise running 2 GE-7s with any gain.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys! That gives me a great place to start messing around. I think I'm gonna go VP-Jr, EQ, Super Overdrive, Flanger, Noise Gate.

Thanks again, Dave

Comment

check out www.amptone.com

very useful information
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

If you've got an effects loop, use time-based effects there (delay, flanger, chorus, tremolo). They usually sound better that way.
                      Gain-based effects (wah, od/distortion) should be used in front of the amp. As for the eq, I prefer it in the loop, but other people use it in front.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        EQ is a preamp effect, and comes after the overdrive. It is used to shape the tone once it's been overdriven/distorted and prior to being effected or amplified. Running an EQ pedal/effect on a guitar before the OD will most certainly yield lots more noise and hiss

[/ QUOTE ]
                        EQ is a preamp effect, as is an overdrive. Depending on where you set either of these devices, you have the potential to increase noise. I prefer to EQ first, as whatever frequencies I choose to manipulate can give the overdrive a very different character. This interaction relationship sounds better to my ears than simply adjusting frequencies post-gain. Most players that I associate with agree with this approach as it can create a much more dynamic sound. Tone is subjective so to each their own, but to make a blanket statement that EQ should come after overdrive is not correct. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I ended up putting the EQ in front of the overdrive and can notice a vast improvement. I liked being able to shape the sound of the guitar before overdriving it.

I didn't notice any more or less noise from the arrangement. Although I believe BOSS pedals are noisy by nature, even though I wouldn't trade them for anything!!

Thanks, Dave

Comment

A wise approach IMO...enjoy [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X