Dammit! Need amp recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dammit! Need amp recommendations

They both have their uses but, Econ, my Marshall is my bedroom amp...it sounds utterly fantastic. I rarely get to play very loud, and I love my set-up. I have zero plans of changing anything soon, and you know me!

That's a corner of my bedroom.

I play my pod through my computer too, but only for recording or late at night when I'm trying to be quiet. They both have their uses, but having both in the same room, I can guarantee you the difference ain't in my head!

Now what you mean by "bedroom volume" may differ from my idea. If you mean "conversation level", stay with modeling. If you mean "loud TV" and up? Get a real amp!

Comment

Dang, now that's T-O-N-E.
      Econ, was your MP-1 modded? I've read great things about the modded ones (Voodoo mods & TM3 mod, in particular), and there are some nice clips on the ADA Forum & at the Voodoo site.

Comment

Chuck:

What kind of Marshall is that? Also, what kind of tones do you get from that setup?

Comment

That's a 1980 JMP 100, bone stock.
          Almost any high gain type hard rock/metal situation is coverd. It has it all, depending on where you put the midrange knob.
          It stops just short of deeply scooped death metal, but has everything else coverd.
          I friggen love it! It's a Tone Machine!

Comment

To be honest, I don't like the sound of the Mark III posted. I mean, yeah it's a cool tone, but I think I seem to be attracted into finding a different tone for myself. All those clips sound way to thin and almost fizzy sounding to me. I like a much more fatter tone. I could post clips of my Mark III. Granted, I don't have a professional recording studio here in my room, but I have a good mic and okay sound card, and an awesome amp. Does that work?? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'll get around to it soon before I head off out of town...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              did you use the lead channel for your clips ? it sounds really good, very much like Disposable Heroes on MOP

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy fuck! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I swear I thought the exact same thing!!! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

P.S. John, the clip sounded 'thin' to you? Wow, that's like the complete opposite of me, considering these are low quality MP3 files of a Mk III with someone else's settings I'd say these clips are monstrously good.
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Uberschall...

I have a clip that I could give to John...maybe he can post it.
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The amps that you mention don't seem to be very bedroom friendly as they are all high wattage models. If that is what you want, I find myself playing a Mesa Stiletto Duece these days. It needs to be cooking to get the sounds I like, but a hotplate would take care of this for you. This amp essentially sounds like a great hot rodded Marshall. It is fairly easy to get some great 80's metal tones ala Lynch, DiMartini, Jake, Fair Warning era VH...you get the picture. Plus the Mesa has a better clean tone than any Marshall 100 watt head that I have ever heard.
                  That being said, I get some great metal tones from my old ADA. Try adding a BBE Sonic Maximizer to the mix and see how you like it.

Comment

Oh Shit you want "bedroom" friendly.

spend 200 bucks for a new 30w Line 6 spyder...they truly whoop ass...for any style...for the money!

I bought my kid one...and I play it constantly!
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

THD Univalve. You can use just about any octal output tube you can find, all with different power ratings for different situations...without needing a tech to rebias it. With an adaptor, you can also use 9pin outputs like an EL84. It can gobble up a bunch of different pre-amp tubes, also. Plus it has a built-in attenuator. And it sounds killer, looks cool and weighs less than 20 pounds.

Depending on the tube, it'll put out 6 to 20 watts. Still too much? Use the attenuator.

Comment

Will the THD Univalve give me the hair metal tones I'm looking for (Lynch, Sykes, etc)?

Comment

GOR, it's not the quality of the clip, it's the guitar tone in it. Of course, everyone has they're own opinion, and I'm not saying that the person who recorded that doesn't have an ear, I'm just saying that I really didn't like the tone. I guess I have more of fatter, less trebley version of John Petrucci's tone. I think that with the tone posted, in a live situation, all your going to that top end fizz. That's just my opinion though. Why do you think metallica used the Coliseum heads? Because they had vitrually no mid rnage and needed a huge amount of wattage to acutally be heard. That's of course just my opinion...

Comment

I understand man. I was saying the opposite, though. I think the lacking in the tone is because of the crappy mp3 sample. But the fatter tone you speak of can be had out of the Mk III as well, from what I have heard. So all is good! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

No coliseum head in the studio though, live they did for sure though, definitly.
                            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I'm aiming for a nice 80s metal tone, and I'm getting it. I'm thinking more Scorpions than Anthrax, so not like death-metal distortion. My Uni has an EH 6L6GC and a Telefunken ECC83 and Sylvania 12AX7, and that line-up is pretty solid. But it sounds pretty good with just about any tubes from my collection.

The Uni has lots of sustain for leads, and also a phenomenal early thrash chug-chug when you palm-mute on the low strings. My Laney AOR and the Marshall Jubilee I've borrowed often for gigs come up short next to the Uni for that sort of tone.

Keep in mind I'm getting this without using ANY pedals. To clean up my tone, I roll off on the guitar's volume.

Comment

I agree with Chuck. Get a real amp and a hotplate. I went looking for "bedroom" amp and came back with plain ol regular amps...there is not a difference IMHO [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I use all of my amps at home.
                                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                                X