Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dammit! Need amp recommendations

Shawn:

Do you use a hotplate with your amps? How do you like the Bogner? What about the VHT? You seem to play the same music I like to play.

Comment

The Uni kicks ass but might come up a bit short when jamming with friends like you mentioned. One of the best recording amps that I've heard in a while though. I plan on picking one up at some point.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        The Uni kicks ass but might come up a bit short when jamming with friends like you mentioned. One of the best recording amps that I've heard in a while though. I plan on picking one up at some point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the tube you're using, and how hard your drummer hits. The first time I had the Uni at practice, KJ (a member of this board) ducked like a 747 was flying over his head when I hit my first chord. And I only had it about 1 o'clock with a 6L6GC.

If he needs more volume for jamming, he could even slave it to one of his other amps. Or get a BiValve.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Shawn:

Do you use a hotplate with your amps? How do you like the Bogner? What about the VHT? You seem to play the same music I like to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I don't use a hoteplate but would like to get one. I love the Bogner, I run it in 1/2 power mode and old mode so the wattage is wanked down. It sounds good to me as lower volume levels.

The VHT is a little harder, but really with most amps they get better the louder you go. The VHT I have is a 50 CL, you can run in A class and really get the tubes smoking. I think the amp sounds fine at moderate levels, better louder. I love that amp too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

On the JCM 800 2203 I used to run with THD yellow jackets and EL-84 to knock the wattage down to about 20. It did tame it but I took them out after a while. I put back in 2 6650's and run it in 50 watt instead of 100 watts. Again its better the louder you get but I get some nice room volume tone outta it. This 2203 is my favorite Marsall amp. I had it since 84 and its an 83 model. I used to run an SD-1 in front like Chuck but I put a Soldano Hot mod in and it has too much gain so I have no need for an OD or DS pedal with it.

I'm pretty interested in getting a hotplate but I need to figure out which one is the best one for me. They do alter the tone of the amp somewhat but you can compensate for that, still would e nice to get great tone at low enough levels where the kids could sleep while I recorded or jammed [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

I'm thinking that maybe I should wait and continue to save money and use my Vetta, and maybe by the end of the year I could have enough to buy a Bogner XTC.

Comment

I have an Uberschall...

it's "bedroom friendly"...

that sounds gay... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The Uber is a great amp, but its voicing is too modern for what I play. I also find the amp to be too dark sounding.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I'm thinking that maybe I should wait and continue to save money and use my Vetta, and maybe by the end of the year I could have enough to buy a Bogner XTC.

[/ QUOTE ]
                  I think the XTC was designed as a bedroom amp [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Framus Cobra. Sounds great at all levels.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      GOR, it's not the quality of the clip, it's the guitar tone in it. Of course, everyone has they're own opinion, and I'm not saying that the person who recorded that doesn't have an ear, I'm just saying that I really didn't like the tone. I guess I have more of fatter, less trebley version of John Petrucci's tone. I think that with the tone posted, in a live situation, all your going to that top end fizz. That's just my opinion though. Why do you think metallica used the Coliseum heads? Because they had vitrually no mid rnage and needed a huge amount of wattage to acutally be heard. That's of course just my opinion...

[/ QUOTE ]

is the Mark IV as fuzzy for you ?

Comment

I had a Mark III ..great amp tone...I got it to sound like Gary Moore's Corridoors of power..I remember that shit...it had a little 'sag" to it and I was a bit more partial to the old Marshalls I had at the time and traded it for a new Charvel 750 XL silverflake artchtop..I wish I still had that guitar!!!!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I had a Mark III ..great amp tone...I got it to sound like Gary Moore's Corridoors of power..I remember that shit...it had a little 'sag" to it and I was a bit more partial to the old Marshalls I had at the time and traded it for a new Charvel 750 XL silverflake artchtop..I wish I still had that guitar!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT!? [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Now I also wish you still had that guitar so you could sell it to me. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          Or, wait a minute, was it string-thru or not? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                          http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

there was a floyd on it..

Comment

I have done the same thing you have econ......This year alone ive gone through a Triple Recto, Marshall TSL 100, and a DSL 100. I find that the problem with amp heads is that you dont really get too much flexability in the tone.....I recently bought a DIGITECH 2101 tube preamp/effects prossecor and im gonna die happy. Its incredible!! Anyway....back to the issue at hand. I would suggest trying something like a preamp and poweramp this time around. I really find the 2101 amazing and you can get them off of ebay for pretty cheap. If youre interested PM me and ill take a couple sound clips for you and post em up (Im too lazy to just do it) anyway that post was way too long..... Good luck with finding your tone!!
                              www.soundclick.com/matthewpigott

Comment

I'd appreciate if you could post your clips in this thread

I'm definately getting more and more into the rack setup. I had a Fireball for a while ... I just sold it ... I really have te impression that I'll never be happy with a head. I can't afford to have some $10k setups with a head and some preamps/poweramps rack added to it. The clips of the Mark III and IIC+ really sound good but you can get so much more versatility with a rack setup that I'll probably go that way.

I had an MP-1 that I never tried with a power amp because when I saw that Fireball going for cheap I had to get it and sold the mp-1 without having tried it with a real power amp, I just played with headphones so I don't think how well it can sound.

Comment

Working...
                                X