Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randall Cab Speakers

Hey,

I recently bought a 2x12 cab with Vintage 30's, but for the hell of it I wanted to check out another 2x12 cab and was looking at the custom MTS cab loaded with custom Celestion® Neodymium Speakers. Anyone know what they sound like? I looked on the Celestion website and the wave spectrum (I think, I have no clue honestly [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) looked almost the same on the Vintage 30. Would they sound pretty much the same but louder? Anyone have an idea what they'd sound like? I can't try it out before I buy, so just wanna be a little safe. Thanks for any help.

- Irfaan -

BTW, websites:
    http://www.randallamplifiers.com/pro...stom/index.asp
    http://professional.celestion.com/gu...etail.asp?ID=1
    http://professional.celestion.com/gu...etail.asp?ID=4

Re: Randall Cab Speakers

I am NOT a fan of Vintage 30s...Not at all..but some love 'em.

I much prefer the chunkier , beefier 75s..better yet..80s..or 90s

BUT at least Randall stopped using those horrid ..PATHETIC "Jaguars" speakers ...man did they sound like flagulent ass! [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Hey,

I recently bought a 2x12 cab with Vintage 30's, but for the hell of it I wanted to check out another 2x12 cab and was looking at the custom MTS cab loaded with custom Celestion® Neodymium Speakers. Anyone know what they sound like? I looked on the Celestion website and the wave spectrum (I think, I have no clue honestly [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) looked almost the same on the Vintage 30. Would they sound pretty much the same but louder? Anyone have an idea what they'd sound like? I can't try it out before I buy, so just wanna be a little safe. Thanks for any help.

- Irfaan -

BTW, websites:
      http://www.randallamplifiers.com/pro...stom/index.asp
      http://professional.celestion.com/gu...etail.asp?ID=1
      http://professional.celestion.com/gu...etail.asp?ID=4

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
      I am NOT a fan of Vintage 30s...Not at all..but some love 'em.

I much prefer the chunkier , beefier 75s..better yet..80s..or 90s

BUT at least Randall stopped using those horrid ..PATHETIC "Jaguars" speakers ...man did they sound like flagulent ass! [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Question you have to ask yourself is what style of music you playing and what sound you are going for. As to the 30's they are great for rock, hardrock and detuned metal because they have a really good bass response and lower deep end. If you want a cheaper alternative goto avatars site and get some of the hellatones, they are the vintage 30's broken in, and for some reason they are cheaper, go figure!

But another part of the sound is the speaker cab itself, you can put the best speaker in a crappy cab and it is gonna sound like crap, not sure how good the randall cabs are.

As to Bill and liking the 75's, that is because they are perfect for his style of music, the 75's are more mid scooped higher top but not as deep of a bottom. I wouldnt say the 75's are chunkier, i would say crispier. The V30's have alot more of a midrange and that is why mesa paired them up with there recto's, the recto's allready have a natural mid scoop, so you take that and put it with a mid heavy speaker and you are back to normal basically.

By the way Bill, i agree those jaguars sucked ass big time!

Comment

Beautiful! Thanks fellas, that's exactly the type of advice I was looking for. Since I have a Vintage 30's cab (I'm playing with a POD XT Live, I play mostly detuned metal, but I'm opening up as a player, so I'm going classical, jazz and blues) I think I wanna try those 75's. I'm totally about the high top screams instead of bass out the wazoo, so that might be better suited for me. Besides, now I can kinda pull that stack sound with 2 2x12 [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Much thanks fellas!

Edit: By the way, are those 75's the G12T-75, or something else I don't know about?

Comment

yeah Siggs the 75s do have a "scoop" to them in comparison to the 30s...and a brighter edge....which I like for high gain pinch harmonics..I like to squeal...John used to bitch that I'd squeal too much....all I could come back with is...ahhhhh ahhhhhh Zakk ...

Man I had a couple of those old Randall cabs loaded with those Jaguars...they had to be the worst speakers I've ever heard in my life...horrible ...just horrible! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I used to love those small RG 80 heads...I had a bunch of 'em...I still think they are the best sounding Randall till this day...but they can get a little crude when cranked...except for this one...for whatever reason..I had this one RG 80 that sounded killer....you could buy those heads all day for $200 back then..

and I haven't even seen one of those heads around since..
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yeah i had one of the randall 100 head and the 80 convered in snake skin, both were killer heads, but just not tube. I like to squeal too! I play my Yamaha threw my 1936 marshall head for that. Zakk i believe uses EV loaded cabs just like Randy did, those i think have close to the same tonal quality as the 75's, only they can handle 200 watts per speaker. Good luck on finding some of them though! Mesa Black Shadows are also close to the 75's.

And we are talking about the 75's that you find in every marshall cabinet, so yes that would be the G12T-75's. By the way i have two extra of those laying around if you want to work out a deal of some sort.

Comment

Working...
            X