Tell me about your old Peavey amps!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about your old Peavey amps!

Anyone have any success stories using old `70s or `80s amps? I see them in shops all the time, but outside of my own band, don't really see people using them live. I gig with old Classic 50s (4x10 combo or 2x12 combo w\ 2x12 cab) and continue to get great results with just a couple of pedals. My brother uses an early `80s Heritage VTX head and gets a great sound out of it as well.

Just curious more than anything...
    sigpic

Re: Tell me about your old Peavey amps!

I absolutely love my 1985 VTX Heritage 2x12. The overall success story I have is it's still jamming, never had one problem, and is still on it's first set of tubes. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

Comment

Old Peavy bass amps RULED they were indestructable...the upper end ones anyway....I had a early 80's Peavy MAX bass head based on their CS 800 power amp section built in flight case..and a Two 18" / two 10" cab...it was a MONSTER...but you could hardly carry it..

Steve Harris in the Dianno years used two Peavy Mark III bass heads ...and that's what I ran at the time back in '82...I was young then and felt bad ass to have the same gear he had..

my bud at the time bought a Peavey Butcher that sounded pretty decent at that time...and the first Ultra 120..and rock masters.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

good amps...but things are just so much better sounding now... I think.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

515os , XXX and JSXs are so much cooler than the old stuff imo..to me it all started with the 5150...that's when peavey got "serious" to me..before that it was a cheap to moderate workhorse...even though the MAX head was pretty pricey for the time....and that was 21 years ago..

man I'm old.. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

My shitty sounding old audition 110 is still workin!

Comment

I had a one of the Transtube heads. I cant remember the model or specifics other than it sucked. I ended up trading it to BlackMariah for some rack shit...he loved it. I just wasnt impressed at all.-Lou
          " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

I still have a Deuce 212.

Comment

I used a Renoun for awhile as a practice amp.. cooler than a Lab 5 in it's heyday for solid state tone IMO.

Comment

Does anyone have any experience with the peavey triumph 1x12? I have the chance to get one cheap.

Comment

I just tried out a used Triumph head (tested through a 2x12 cab) and was impressed with it. If the combo version is the same and has a footswitch with it, I'd imagine it's a good amp for the right price.
                  sigpic

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                    +1 LOL (and I thought it sounded good when I first got it..)
                    And I used to have a Bandit 112 (pre transtube days) but that might have been early 90's, not sure.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                      +1 LOL (and I thought it sounded good when I first got it..)
                      And I used to have a Bandit 112 (pre transtube days) but that might have been early 90's, not sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still have my Bandit 112! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] It's a 1990 or 91. Not too bad for a practice amp.
                      THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

My brother has a TransTube Bandit (previous owner installed a 12" Eminence Legend) and I've owned a TransTube Special 212 with Sheffields for years now. My brother gigged with the 212 and it sounded good.
                        sigpic

Comment

I had an old Peavey Renown for a while. It was a 2 x 12 combo and it was LOUD. I used it with an MXR Distortion + in front of it.

Comment

Since everyone was pulling out their Bandits. I still have my 1985 Backstage +! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] And it still works like a champ. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Now whether or not you'd want to play through it is another thing. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jason

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Does anyone have any experience with the peavey triumph 1x12? I have the chance to get one cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]I have a Triumph P.A.G. 60 1x12 combo which was the last Triumph before they changed to the Ultra series. It has an EQ for the clean channel and then a shared EQ for the drive channels Crunch and Ultra, and has the "bottom, body and edge" name for the drive EQ like the Ultras. don't think the earlier Triumphs have a separate EQ for the drive channels, but that might not matter too much. I think it's a great amp myself! Sure there's better out there but it sounds damn good, is reliable and was dirt cheap! The clean channel is the weak link but a little chorus and it sounds good too. It was a backup for my Carvin VM100 but I use it more than the Carvin right now,not that it's better but it's set up and I'm lazy! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]I'd play it to see if it hums (filter caps) and if you can get it for $200 or less I'd jump on it as long as it's in good shape.
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X