Tell me about your old Peavey amps!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tell me about your old Peavey amps!

i had a renown 400 2x12 combo that kicked ass!
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]
      Does anyone have any experience with the peavey triumph 1x12? I have the chance to get one cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]I have a Triumph P.A.G. 60 1x12 combo which was the last Triumph before they changed to the Ultra series. It has an EQ for the clean channel and then a shared EQ for the drive channels Crunch and Ultra, and has the "bottom, body and edge" name for the drive EQ like the Ultras. don't think the earlier Triumphs have a separate EQ for the drive channels, but that might not matter too much. I think it's a great amp myself! Sure there's better out there but it sounds damn good, is reliable and was dirt cheap! The clean channel is the weak link but a little chorus and it sounds good too. It was a backup for my Carvin VM100 but I use it more than the Carvin right now,not that it's better but it's set up and I'm lazy! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]I'd play it to see if it hums (filter caps) and if you can get it for $200 or less I'd jump on it as long as it's in good shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks alot for the advice [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Most of the tube amps are great, Bravo is one of the best small tube amps out there, Prowlers are great also (the prowler is actually the model they used for the new chinese Road King) the backstage plus is a killer practice amp, the usa rages are ok for a kid to start on, the chinese ones are solid shit, as well as the Express 112, the preamps are real noisy, works ok just as a power amp, 5150 combo weighs a ton but kicks ass, these are just the ones I have had personal experience with.
        I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

I've had many Peaveys. I still gig with a modded Rockmaster preamp. I love it. I no longer fantasize about an ENGL, Soldano, or Fish.

My first peavey was an 80's Stereo Chorus that was 35 watts per ch. and had (2) 8" speakers. I later bought a 90's version called the Studio Chorus 210. Both were OK for home but lousy for gigging with my lousy metal bands. So I bought a Mark IV (I think) 80's head. Lots of knobs, loud, and bad tone. I threw a pedal in front of it and I thought I was Dimebag! It was still a cheesy metal sound but it was mainly used for shock & awe on my college campus. I didn't own "good" by Peavey until after college I purchased (seperately) a Classic 50/50 poweramp, Rockmaster pre, and a 5150 cab. Once I was gigging with that rig I realized I'd been short changing myself all along with the other crap. For once in my life, Marshall amp guys were plugging their ears instead of their noses.

Peavey gets knocked here & there and has a reputation for budget items which translates into bad tone. It's not entirely true. They've gotten better with time and offer reasonably priced gear that competes with all of the competition. If it wasn't for Peavey's prices, I would have quit years ago.

Comment

Working...
          X