Annoying Hum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying Hum

I have a problem whenever I use gain on my amp.I hear a annoying hum.On clean I dont hear it.I turn the distortion/gain up on my gtr and when im not playing,it appears.Also appears when i use my pod with headphones.It can also be heard through other various things like recording equipment.I have a chair i can spin around in when playing and alot of times ill go around untill i find a sweet spot with no hum.Im wondering if it could be in my power line in the house.I live a few miles from some radio towers,have quite a few Tv`s in the house so i dont know where to begin.I wonder what i can do to find/eliminate the problem.Muchos Gracias in advance!
    "The cup floats pretty good till you get 2 or 3 people on it"~Vinnie Paul

Re: Annoying Hum

Sounds like a grounding issue.
    Check your outlets. If you are using one of those three prong to two prong adapters, make sure the metal tab is grouded to the screw on the wall plate. Most guys forget to actuly attach the ground.
    -Rick

Comment

im plugging straight into the wall with my amp with no adapter and also,with the POD,its plugged into a regular powerstrip and i still get hum with the pod as well... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Comment

Check the ground wires inside your guitar. Make sure all of them are firmly soldered in place. Check your guitar cables for weak or loose connections.
        If you're as close as you say you are to high power broadcast equipment, check the electronics cavity in your guitar for shielding. If there is none, get some, it's cheap and easy to install.
        If it's still there after all that, you've got me stumped. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
        -Rick

Comment

Wiring fault in your outlets.

Comment

There are many things that could be causing it....most likely its just a bad ground as they said, although, it may be the result of RF interference. If the noise decreases in other parts of your room it could be because you are too close to a computer or any other electronic device. A good way to tell is if you turn your amps volume up, but keep your guitar volume down. If you are picking up your local radio station it could very well be the result of RF interference. Either way, you could fix the grounds in your guitar as a start, but i would suggest a noise gate anyway and be rid of the problem for good. (Sorry for the long post)
            www.soundclick.com/matthewpigott

Comment

Is there any type of power strip or adapter i could use to try to cut the hum?Thanks for all of your replies.Im gonna try every one of em [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I've never heard any reviews so im skeptical but this company has a tone of line conditioners and stuff....... http://www.ebtechaudio.com/new.html
                www.soundclick.com/matthewpigott

Comment

The ebtech audio stuff is awesome. I have several items from them. The new Hum-X is a godsend. I have 2 of them. Check them out. If you have a ground looping situation, these will cure it. Only one is needed, but I bought 2 of them recently. Great product. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Kewlness.Thanks all....

Comment

Working...
                    X