Live rig suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live rig suggestion

This combination is totally 100% killer. It sounds great, it is great. Don't believe or take any crap from anybody live with their all tube Rectifiers or JCM's or Ubers or whatever and don't argue with them because their amps are great too. This system kills. I should know. I have been slaying audiences and fellow bandmates for close to 30 years. We had a gig this past friday and as expected my guitar tone was just outstanding.
    Here is my exact live rig:
    SKB road case
    Carvin T-100 power amp configured in true stereo. 50w per side. It is running EL34's.
    Wiremold rack mounted surge protected power strip.
    Boss GT-6 hooked into the T-100 in true stereo.
    Randall 2 x 12 cabinet wired in stereo and running Altec Lansing 300w Whiteframes or a 4 x 12 cabinet also wired in stereo.
    Lets consider what you could pay for all this stuff used if you shop and snipe.
    Roadcase $50.00
    Powerstrip $40.00
    Carvin T-100 $275.00
    Boss GT-6 $275.00
    2 x 12 speaker cabinet $200.00

That totals to $840.00. Add $60.00 for incidentals such as cables, extra tubes, etc.. and you have a live rig that is road worthy, versatile, sounds great, can be set up and be ready to go in around 5 minutes and be able to cut through ANY mix that most of us will ever be a part of, the ability to take your exact live sound directly into the studio to record your newest bands CD knowing that it will be exact and it will take 5 minutes to set up. You get all this for a total cost of $900.00 if you shop a little.
    Just add a few guitars and you are ready to hit the road or studio.
    Just a suggestion if any of you kiddies are looking to hit the road with a great versatile sound.

Re: Live rig suggestion

I'm taking your word for it dude...

but just by the sheer looks of that set up...I would think it would sound lame.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I'm taking your word for it dude...

but just by the sheer looks of that set up...I would think it would sound lame.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill, I forgot to mention that part. It does look lame. Really lame. [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] Maybe I should bring my diamond plated Mark III shorthead to gigs just for show so I don't look like a total tool with my current live rig. I did learn one thing after using this rig live several times.... don't turn around! As long as I am facing the crowd its all good bro! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

or you can join the current trend and have 2 logo'd canvas barriers hiding your guitar rigs from the audience.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

*sigh* EVERYONE knows that modelling amps can't cut through a mix live.

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

I'm gonna buy a empty JMP shell and throw a POD in there...and fuck everbody up..

I'm just kiddin'.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              *sigh* EVERYONE knows that modelling amps can't cut through a mix live.

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 I would also like to add that not only doesn't it cut through a live mix but its really thin and processed sounding. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                or you can join the current trend and have 2 logo'd canvas barriers hiding your guitar rigs from the audience.

[/ QUOTE ]
                LOL When I saw Nevermore on the DHIADW tour a few years ago, that's what Jeff Loomis did. During the first song, Narcosynthesis, when it came time for the solo, Jeff's rig died and you only heard Curran Murphy's rhythm guitar. Jeff hid behind the curtain for a few minutes trying to figure out what was wrong. Wonder what kind of rig he was really playing through! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Damn it. I guess its time for me to dump those tube amps...anyone have a PodXT for sale?
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

It is fine and dandy unless it gets really hot. When a band I played in opened up for Cephalic Carnage, the club was so friggen hot and there was direct sunlight on the stage for about an hour before we played the guitarist's GT6 overheated and went haywire, so he had to run straight into his Triple XXX, which is okay, he just had zero effects for his entire performance. Ahh, who am I kidding, I'm just giving you shit John.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

GT6 is pretty solid live. I have a buddy that is in a 3 piece thrash band and he runs a one live into two keyboard amps on either side of the stage and it sounds pretty solid. Some of the distortion on the GT-6 also is pretty excellent sounding. I ran it into my Mark III way back in the day and it pulled off some nice tones.

The ME-50 I think it is, also is pretty solid, for a more value-oriented purchase.

I also like the PODXT Live into a VHT poweramp. Sounds just as good as the GT-6 live.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, they do that because its cheaper than having a huge backdrop behind you. Plus it is easier to breakdown and setup.

Comment

Hey, I'm actually going almost the same route. I have my POD XT Live going into 2 Randall 2x12 (one with V30's and the other I'm gonna hook up with the G12T-75's). I was suppose to get a VHT 2.90, but that's gonna have to wait 2 more months. Getting a Crate Powerblocks in the mean time as I have practice every week. I've tried it with my friend's cab w/ V30's and a VHT 2.90 and it was sick, so hopin it'll be the same with my setup

Comment

I prefer a tube power amp but I have heard good things about the Crate Powerblock.

Comment

Eh, that powerblock is just temporary, very temporary. Soon as I grab that VHT poweramp it's gone. I actually might keep it around so I don't have to drag the poweramp to practices though

Comment

Good idea.

Comment

Last year I did a half dozen gigs with a modeler setup too:

Johnson J-Station W/ J8 Foot Controller
                              into power amp input of a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (loaded with a VIN30 instead of the wimpy stocker).

I would use it again in a heartbeat for small rooms... sounds fine.

I tried out a GT6 (or was it a GT8?) last week... sounded real good.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Working...
                              X