Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AOR Pro Tube 50 cab and tube reccomendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AOR Pro Tube 50 cab and tube reccomendations?

Just bought the ugly grey one on ebay, but I need a cab, and it probably needs retubing. I'm thinking Avatar 4x12, but no idea how to choose speakers. I have another amp to handle cleans and lighter OD, so let that guide your tube and speaker reccomendations. (Damn I guess I need to be an A/B box, too). Thanks a lot. It's gonna be a long 2 weeks before I can get home and rock with it. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: AOR Pro Tube 50 cab and tube reccomendations?

How much are you looking to spend?
    www.soundclick.com/matthewpigott

Comment

Just regular tubes, no pricey boutique stuff. As far as the cab goes, I'd like to spend $450 or less.

Comment

Don't Avatar cabinets come with speakers? We just gigged with a band whose guitarist used an Avatar 4 x 12 with the wire mesh grill. It sounded great when Jim plugged his Single Rectifier into it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Don't Avatar cabinets come with speakers? We just gigged with a band whose guitarist used an Avatar 4 x 12 with the wire mesh grill. It sounded great when Jim plugged his Single Rectifier into it.

[/ QUOTE ]
          You can choose, and so I want to find the best match for my new amp. They also have a couple they sell already configured for cheaper, but for a little more you can mix and match.

Comment

You can't go wrong with Vintage 30's.

Comment

My AOR 100 head loves the Winged C output tubes, but totally hates the Electro-Harmonix. For pre-amp tubes, it really likes Groove Tubes and older Phillips ECC83s.

I don't know if this will be a problem with you 50-watter, but my 100-watter heats up a lot and fades a bit in the tale end of gigs. I'm going to get a fan to help it out. You might want to do the same just in case.

Comment

How do you think it would match up with a Jackson 4x12? Then I can finally have a reason to be on the board, haha. But seriously...

Comment

There's an Engl cab with Vintage 30s at bostonguitar for about $600, but I dunno if I want to spend that much though. It's pretty beat, and no logo, but every HC review exalts it as the greatest cab ever, so maybe I should just take the plunge.

Comment

I wouldn't. Thats pretty expensive for a beat up cabinet. I heard a bone stock 4 x 12 Avatar cab that sounded great. I also played through one of those Behringer 4 x 12 cabs with the different angled speakers and that sounded pretty awesome too.

Comment

You can likely buy a used mesa cab for that. I bought a Jackson cab for 130.00 with celestion 70's at a pawn shop last year but I hardly use it.
                      My Laney likes Svetlanas or RCA big bottles.

Comment

I got one of these compact Crate 4x12 cabs last year... pretty good sounding with the Crate/St. Louis Music speakers, metal speaker grille. If I were to put my own speakers in, I'd probably go with Celestions... Vintage 30s and G12T-75s in an X pattern.
                        The cab was on sale for $250 when I bought, but it seems to have gone up $50 now. Very lightweight, too. MF says it's got 100W handling capability, but the back of my cab says 120W. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/487711/
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                        X