Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Line 6 POD XT Live (or XT for that matter)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line 6 POD XT Live (or XT for that matter)

I just picked one up in the classifieds. It should be here Wednesday.

Tell me your thoughts, your settings, and how you use it.

To me, it looks like it can be used a variety of ways. I'm really impatient, and don't usually mess with many sound backs, so I'd like to know what you guys do.

How do you have it set up? A power amp? Into the board? In your amp? Let me know, so I've got some ideas to mess around with when it gets here.

Re: Line 6 POD XT Live (or XT for that matter)

Dude, I'm impatient as hell myself. I'm used to plugging straight into an amp and either getting a good tone or not. I was gonna sell this a week after getting it, but after John and a few others told me to hang on to it, I'm glad I did. The tonal possibilities are endless if you take the time to mess with it. I would recommend buying the model packs with it, really does expand your sounds. I have the metal pack (much needed upgrade) and it sounds great now. (Or I should say "useable for me", because I rely on a lot of high gain tones, but the JCM 800 stock was awsome!) Here is how I've been using it at a friend's house.

XT Live -> VHT 2.90 power amp -> Randall Warhead cab w/ V30s. This way, it sounds awsome. I tune down to B, so with the VHT's Depth knob, I get some deep and heavy tones. My own setup is not here yet (end of the week), but it's gonna be through a Crate Powerblock till I get the VHT into 2 2x12 Randall cabs. I don't expect the tone to change too much, but the vht power amp's absence will be missed due to a biig change in tone that I use it for.

The computer editing if you choose to use it is a big help. Sitting there programming the unit with buttons and a small LCD screen might be cool for some people, but for me I'd rather click the mouse and have it change something. For programming on the fly it's really good, but for searching for my initial tone I couldn't sit there with it. The PC was much more convenient for me to work with, and I find it's easier to program that way till you know your way around the XT controls. They are not hard to learn, but the PC software lays out everything right in front of you.

There are switches on the back and a setting when you start up the unit (which you can change whenever you want, not only when you start up) that changes how you can connect the POD XT, direct, in front of an amp, in front of a combo, etc. The best setting I found (and keep in mind tone is in the ear of the beholder, so to speak) was going direct into a power amp and into the cabs. I've tried it in front of my amp, with the correct settings, and I wasen't that impressed. Point is, even if you don't like it at first, hang on to it, try it in as many different combinations as your patience can go, and really give it a chance. I was against modelling amps for the longest (I've owned a lot of em too), but this one really seems to hold it's own very well. I don't think I'll be buying a head anytime soon, but only time will tell, I still love a 5150 head cranked and blasting [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] and nothing will ever change that

Comment

I have to add...even if you still don't like what you hear, and since I don't have patience this kills me, but there are just endless things to tweak. I change an amp, but the cab sucks. I change the cab, now the EQ sucks. I fix the EQ and now I wanna change the mic placement (Some people don't bother, but I do use that, even for live playing). Then it dosen't sound the same, so back to the EQ. Basically, THIS THING IS A PAIN IN THE ASS!!! And also the greatest thing to come across my way because I hate tons and tons of options, but when you get it right it's the most beautiful thing. If metal's your thing, there is also a site I gave to someone else here

http://metallabs.com/hotplate/viewforum.php?f=28

This dude GORILLA makes these patches and I think they sound great! He uses old software on his unit, so if your XT Live has upgraded software, it won't sound the same as his, but with a little tweaking you can get close to the tone you want. Good luck [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

The cool thing is that once you get 'your sound' out of it, you can store it. And name it. One thing I do like about modelling amps is that they are consistent - even my favorite tube amps aren't.

Pete

Comment

my guitarist and i take ours on the rode with only our guitars, and plug right into one of the other bands gear. and still maintain "our" sound. we are very happy with this set up. this had made it especially convient to fly to those special out of town one off's.

we like to plug into the fx loop return if all possible, but with the amp/line switch and the output selector, we can run through the front of those nice vintage heads that do not have the fx returns. we aslo have a bank for each of the 4x12 cabs so that we can match the modeling with the actual cab in use.

if you can't get a sound you like out of the xt live, you are not happy with the sound of your actual guitar and should consider changing pickups or guitars.

~jw
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I love my pickup combination. Usually it's a distortion in the bridge, and either a Jazz or a 59 in the neck. My PRS and Ibanez being the exceptions (Aftermarket 7 string pickups USED and CHEAP are hard to come by, and I don't play it enough to justify putting pickups in it).

That said,

What do you mean about the different software? How do you upgrade the software? How do you get the different "packs" ala the metal pack you spoke of? I remember looking at one on eBay that had the metal pack already in it, and I remember seeing it modeled a Diezel and about crapped my pants.

Pete, how do you run yours?

DR, so pretty much your rig is your guitar into this into whatever, and you're still pleased?

What do you mean computer editing? I can change the parameters of it, on my computer? That sounds fucking awesome. I bought it mainly for these reasons,

I can put it into the PA
            I can put it into power amps, into my cabs
            I can put it infront of my amp
            I can put it in the loop of my amp.

I've not even got to play the thing yet, but it sounds like (if it sounds awesome as everyone says) It will be a GREAT backup, or maybe even a main rig on those trips when space is confined.

Comment

Deneb,

Line6 makes this program that they package in with the PODXT Live and basically you connect your XT Live into your computer via a USB cable and you load in the drivers for the PODXT, pop the software on your computer and you can pretty much edit the patches in a fairly easy to navigate graphical interface. Quite frankly, it beats the hell out of having to edit patches on the XT itself since I find the interface on the floorboard itself to be very non-user friendly.

The only real gripe I have with the PodXT Live is that the tuner is unreadable if you're tall and don't have 100% vision.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                DR, so pretty much your rig is your guitar into this into whatever, and you're still pleased?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes!

to update or (downdate) the firmware, use line 6 monkey, free from www.line6.com. i prefer the 2.13 firmware instead of the 2.14. maybe they'll get it right with 2.15.

~jw
                Widow - "We have songs"

Comment

Also, the model packs are additional modelling amps and effects. The unit comes with the FX packs, some cool effects, EQ's, compressors, etc. The metal pack has the more high gain tones, ENGL, Bogner amps, etc and forgot the last one, but it has classic amps. To upgrade for one pack is $50, but for all 3 is $99. Kinda up there in $ I think for add ons, but it's really worth it.

Comment

I've been using the XT and XT Live since they first came out. I go straight into a board, so what I hear in the monitors is what the crowd hears. At rehearsals, I go straight into a board and at home, it goes straight into my computer via my Lexicon. Since they finally got Line 6 edit to work on the XT Live, editing and tweaking is great.

You will definitely enjoy it - and it does cut thru the mix!!!!

Comment

Those packs seems kind of expensive. I'm guessing there's not a way to download an amp setting, without spending the $$$. For now, I think I'll sit with the Mesa Dual Rectifier for my high gain tones. Probably, I should just piss around with it with some of the settings you guys tell me, and then go from there.

IHrocker- Me, you, and twister all know modelers are shitty, and can't cut through a mix quit foolin yourself [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (joking)

Comment

I haven't upgraded the model packs yet on my XT - it comes with some decent ones - Marshall JCM800, variac plexi, dual rectifier, soldano SLO, etc. There are some good tones in a 'stock' XT Live imho - check out what you have from it before you invest in the other packs.

Pete

Comment

i'd like to have the packs but i'm not going to spend $100 extra. that shit should be free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what do they think music makes money?
                          Widow - "We have songs"

Comment

Yeah for now, I don't think I'll be getting any. Though it does sound tempting to dump the 50$ to model a Diezel BUT...I don't think a 50$ patch is going to sound like a 4 grand Diezel. It may sound good, but it won't do it for me.

From the get go, this thing looks awesome, There's some other Marshall tones (JMP JTM) shit I don't even know what it is. (I'm a gear head, but not one that knows everything, just things that I like :P ) I guess I'll just have to piss with it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

What are some of the patches you guys use?

Comment

patches people, patches! This thing is supposed to be here tomorrow!

Comment

Working...
                              X