Tuners and power conditioners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuners and power conditioners

I think I'm driving KJ nuts whenever I need to borrow his tuner at rehearsal or during a show. For his mental health, I'd like to get my own. I want to go rackmounted because my back-up head is rackmounted. Do you have any reaonably priced recommendations? If you read that "ideas for cheap SOBs," I'll forgive you.

I am also wondering about power conditioners. What exactly do they do, and are they worth having?

Re: Tuners and power conditioners

The thing I want to know is what the heck is a KJ?

Comment

A typo. That should just be "...driving KJ nuts."

He's the other guitarist in my band...obviously, the one with a tuner! He's also a member here, despite not being a Jackson or Charvel user (I pity the poor lad).

Comment

I would look into peterson strobe tuners....they are more precise than those korg pieces......as for line/power conditioners, i dont know how, but the fix the voltage so it is more constant and partially eliminate bad grounds and stuff like that.........in the end makes for a cleaner signal.....someone with more knowledge should describe it better than me. they work pretty well, and make things safer than a power bar. Check out the furman ones they are good, plus they have a rack light in them.
        www.soundclick.com/matthewpigott

Comment

I am not a fan of rack mounted tuners. I think a stage tuner should be on the stage right where you usually are standing. The Boss TU-2 or the Peterson Strobo-stomp are both excellent and have auto mute features too which are the #1 most important feature to have when playing live.
          What do you have to do with a rack mounted tuner? Is there a footswitch to mute your guitar sound? If so, do you have to step on the pedal and then walk back to your rack and tune and then walk back to the footswitch to unmute your guitar or do you leave the footswitch near the amp? In either case, walking back to your rig to tune sounds like a hassle. I have actually tuned during a song with my TU-2.
          Regarding power conditioners, they are always a good idea if you are using sensitive equipment or are subject to unclean, unstable or noisy power. If none of these conditions apply then just get a good surge protected power strip and you should be good to go.

Comment

You could always get a Furman PL-Tuner, which is a power conditioner and tuner in a single rack unit. The tuner is extremely basic, and most retailers want a couple hundred bucks for them, but I've seen them on eBay for pretty cheap. I actually got a NOS one on eBay for around $80.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X