Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amps and guitars that don't play well together??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amps and guitars that don't play well together??

I love my Double Fat Strat with Pearly Gates Plus/'59 humbuckers, but it sounds all fuzzy and crappy through my Mesa F-30 combo no matter how I tweak it. The Fender sounds fine through every other amp I've tried, and my other guitars sound fine through the Mesa. Anyone else experience guitars and amps that don't get along too well?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Amps and guitars that don\'t play well together??

Rickenbaker through Marshall amp it sounds great through Vox or Fender?

Comment

I used to play in a band with a guy that only owned a vintage 69' ES-335. We played metal and that semi-hollow was a feedback nightmare and didn't sound cool through anything with buzzsaw distortion.

Comment

Gibson through a Fender [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] Allthough it was only a cyber twin or deluxe head I cant remember.

Most of the other guitars I tried sounded excellent especially the Jem 7V allthough that had dimarzio Evo's in it which rocked through the Fender....

Then again they were cheap Gibson's...

Ozz

Comment

well,the super 3 that came in my PC-1s don't mix well with my riveras. that's why i pull out the super 3 and replace it.
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Re: Amps and guitars that don\'t play well together

my fender squier strat through either my peavey 6505 (aka 5150) or ultra on either dirty channel
            single coils just aint suited for metal

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              well,the super 3 that came in my PC-1s don't mix well with my riveras. that's why i pull out the super 3 and replace it.

[/ QUOTE ]
              Yeah, I would probably replace the pups in my Strat if the Mesa was the only amp I owned, but they sound good through everything else I've tried it in, so they're staying.

Comment

No I haven't found that yet. I'm pretty consistent in pickup selection though. I think its moreso in the right pickup thats in the guitar than the pickup and the amp....swap em out and see [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

one of my strats with a duncan custom custom in the bridge sounds odd, kinda hollow for lack of a better term and way too mid focused through my '79 marshall JMP but through my engl powerball or peavey Ultra Plus it just rips!

-Mike
                  www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Joe, I am right with you on this. Mesa Rectifiers sound best with EMG equipt guitars. Strats sound best through either Fender or Marshall amps. Rickenbackers sound best through VOX amps. Everything sounds great through a Matchless... Mark Series Mesa's sound best with PRS or Gibson guitars, etc... I am sure there must be a logical reason for this.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Joe, I am right with you on this. Mesa Rectifiers sound best with EMG equipt guitars. Strats sound best through either Fender or Marshall amps. Rickenbackers sound best through VOX amps. Everything sounds great through a Matchless... Mark Series Mesa's sound best with PRS or Gibson guitars, etc... I am sure there must be a logical reason for this.

[/ QUOTE ]
                      Yeah, my Jackson and Les Paul have EMGs and sound awesome with the Mesa. My Carvin has DiMarzio Super Distortions, Schecter 7-string has a Duncan Custom and DiMarzio Blaze, ESP/LTD has Duncan Designed stacked P-90s. All sound good to me except for the Strat.
                      The Strat does sound really nice through any other amp I've tried it through, like my old Marshall Valvestate, Fender RocPro 1000 or even my home-made 1x12 combo with SansAmp Tri-AC pedal and Carvin DCM150 power amp, even sounds good through my old plastic DOD GS30 floor processor with an amp or headphones.

Comment

BC Rich Beast through one of those little cigarette pack Smokey Amps. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Lite Ash Strat through an Ashdown, anyone wanna buy the amp?

Andy!

Comment

I feed my Rectifier Duncan Distortions. Imho EMG's sound like ass.

Comment

Working...
                            X