Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about getting an attenuator ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about getting an attenuator ...

I have a Mesa Rectoverb (50 watt, 8 ohm) with a 2x12 vertical Mesa Recto cab (8 ohm) that I strictly use at home. No time for a band right now, no matter how much I want to be in one, so I'll have to wait, but I still want to play my Mesa. It sounds good at low volumes, but I'd like to try a Hot Plate or something similar ... just wanted to get some input since there are a few to choose from.

--Dan
    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Re: Thinking about getting an attenuator ...

I think they sound fine without one. Fritzreiser is selling one.

Comment

Basically, just match up the ohms of your cab and head with the plate and you're good to go.
      They will affect the sound somewhat, but...heck, grab a used one and play with it. If you don't dig it, flip it.

Comment

not to thread hijack but which is the best one to get to give you the most flexibility? The THD's are cool but I have a mixture of 16ohm and 8ohm cabs, is there a Hotplate that I can get to use with both Ohm settings instead of have to buy 2 Hotplates?
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Shawn, look into a Weber Mass. I see used ones all the time, adjustable from 2 to 16 ohms. They are generally less expensive than the THD Hotplates and some say they sound better.
          I always go for the Hotplate just because it's a known quantity for me.

Comment

+1 on the Weber Mass - I had a chance to A/B a bunch of these and it sounded the best IMO - so I bought two of them a while back - a MiniMASS for small stuff and a big MASS for my stack.

Do a search in this forum - this has come up a few times.
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              not to thread hijack but which is the best one to get to give you the most flexibility? The THD's are cool but I have a mixture of 16ohm and 8ohm cabs, is there a Hotplate that I can get to use with both Ohm settings instead of have to buy 2 Hotplates?

[/ QUOTE ]

The marshall power brake also allows you to switch between 8 and 16 ohm, marshall people swear by them, i have one and it sounds good, the hotplate just gives you the little EQ switches to compistate.

Comment

The Weber mass has a speaker driver inside it... it's more reactive than the other attenuators. I'd give a +1 to the Mass just from what I've heard about it and also since it's a different technology than just gluing a ton of high wattage resistors to a heatsink, which is what a lot of attenuators do.

Pete

Comment

I read that those attenuators can cause problems in the amp. I would like to specify, I want to say it can cause things in the power stage, but then again< I don't know.

Comment

Thanks guys...I'll check out the Weber Mass.

I have heard a lot more bad things about the Marshall Power Break than anything else...dunno if its product misuse or what
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

I got a THD Hotplate after reading a thread on Harmony-Central.

Basically, 1 or 2 guys did some very thorough research on the various attenuators.

It was a very long monster thread, with alot of great info and sound samples.

In the end, the THD Hotplate seemed to come out on top for me.. most considered the Powerbrake fairly poorly.

I'd suggest you search for it on the amp forum before you make a decision.

Comment

I just did a search and found this thread: I've been thinking about getting a THD Hotplate as well - this might sound stupid, but do they need power? As with most things, they're cheaper in the US than over here, but obviously I don't want to have to buy a transformer as well!
                        Popular is not the same as good
                        Rare is not the same as valuable
                        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

No, the amp powers it. Just a speaker cable from the amp the the 'Plate, then from the 'Plate to the cab.

Comment

What about the Palmer Boxes? I thought they were sposed to be cool? Any comments?

Comment

Very cool...pretty spendy, too. Easily twice what a Hotplate or Weber would cost.
                              Really, it's more of a recording device designed to dump ALL of the amps output and convert to a line level signal.

Comment

Working...
                              X