X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What amp would you bring??

Details:
    Skylar Neil Benefit Concert at the Corner Pocket in Milford, CT
    5 bands. 4 are openers and the last is Red Hot which is a Motley Crue Tribute band that is supposed to be good.
    We are one of the openers. The other 3 openers are all original acts and not from the area. 2 from MA and 1 from NJ. I have no idea why a band would want to travel 2-3 hours to do a 45 minute unpaid set in a pool hall/club in Milford, CT. Granted, Dokken, Ratt and others have played there but the place isn't all that at all!
    My band Chase is the only cover band except for the headliner. We decided to do mainly 80's metal and rock songs. I figure that all the other bands are gonna be loud. Reason being: MA metal bands are usually hardcore, loud and fairly pissed off that they live in MA. NJ bands could go either way but one thing for sure is that they will be LOUD. Jim (Sambencuda) is bringing a Mesa Single Rectifier 1/2 stack. Our bass player is bringing his SWR head, a 4 x 10 cab and his 1 x 15 cab. I have the option of bringing my Boss GT-6 /Carvin T-100 rack system with a 2 x 12 or 4 x 12 cab wired in stereo or I can bring my Mesa Mark III diamond plate head and either of the 2 cabinets. I will also need to bring a wah, delay, tuner and a chorus pedal.
    I feel that all the other bands including the headliner are going to have a raw in your face tone and that possibly the Mark III coupled with Jims Single Rectifier might be a better choice for me. The other things I am considering are the visual appeal of 2 diamond plate Mesa Boogie half stacks on stage and I don't want these MA and NJ hardcore bands getting the wrong impression when they see my GT-6 and rack system on stage (ie: it figures that this snobby Connecticut old ex-80's metal dude (me) would be playing a complex modeling rack system. My goal is to rip these NJ and MA punks and the club a new asshole. We got the gig because we have connections and because we are the only local cover band we need to make a statement both visually and sound wise.
    The difference between my 2 rigs is simple. The Rack system has both convenience and versatility. My rack system is simple to set up, it sounds great and its super easy to use. It doesn't look as good as the Mark III but it is certainly a more polished professional record quality sound.
    The Mark III shorthead is a beast. It's in your face, and produces a sound that you can really feel plus because it is diamond plate it looks REALLY cool. It isn't as versatile, some of our songs won't have the exact guitar sound that is on the record, and its not as easy to operate onstage but it gaurantees that my sound will be killer, in your face, raw and aggressive. Keep in mind that we are doing 80's metal and hard rock and only a 45 minute set.
    With that said, which rig should I bring? I am going with your suggestions on this one because they both have their good points.

Re: What amp would you bring??

Ripping a new hole?

Mark III, no question! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I would go for the Mark III. Most spectators don't appreciate the varied tonal nuances among different songs. As long as you have clean, dirty, and destroy available to you with the Mesa, I would go that route. Don't out finesse the punks, crush 'em!!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

+1 for the Mk III
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

You could always set up the Mesa 1/2-stack for looks and then run your GT-6 into it for the control you want. Then you can have either/or
          except that it won't be in stereo.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            You could always set up the Mesa 1/2-stack for looks and then run your GT-6 into it for the control you want. Then you can have either/or
            except that it won't be in stereo.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was going to suggest. That or take both rigs and just use the Mesa as a dummy prop. It can't be that much more to carry. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jason

Comment

John -
              When's the gig ?
              Try the MkIII for pure rip, but if nailing the exact tone is important - go with that other rig. With that many bands sharing the stage (expecially at THAT place) it'll be tight

Comment

as long as Jim is using a tube head/4x12 setup... you should aswell.

like have have said to you many times. if you go modeling - he needs to go modeling. if he goes tube amp / 4x12 , you need to go tube amp / 4x12.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

well, since you are in the over 30 years of live rockin-rolling experience you should know what to bring...right [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Since you asked..I'd bring the Mark III and the Boss thingamabob [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

I would bring the rig that is easiest to set up. I've played a few shows that involved as many as seven other bands, and in each instance, I had ZERO time to set up. Reliability, ease of setup, and consistency (tone wise) would dictate my choice in that order.

Comment

I'd bring whatever I was most comfortable with. Personally, I could give a rat's ass what my rig looked like, but that's just me. Let em say what they want when you set up, then kick their ass with your playing.

Pete

Comment

I hear ya Pete. Maybe I am just trying to find an excuse to break out the Mark III. Its been in my cedar closet for almost a month now. I usually could care less about "the look" of the band afterall, I am 43. Its not like I'm fooling anybody. I am gonna most likely go with the Mark III. Its the perfect venue for it and its easy to set up and break down. It should sound really good blended with Jims Single Rectifier.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I would bring the rig that is easiest to set up. I've played a few shows that involved as many as seven other bands, and in each instance, I had ZERO time to set up. Reliability, ease of setup, and consistency (tone wise) would dictate my choice in that order.

[/ QUOTE ]

On a tight stage with alot of other bands I would think the Mark III will be easier to set up and break down. The GT-6 takes up a fair amount of floor space and my rack is pretty large. The Mark III short head is small and I will only need a few pedals for the songs we are doing.

Comment

If you want to be loud, just remember what my mom said after I finished playing my Mark III... "WE JUST HAD AN EARTHQUAKE!"

Mark III. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Its gonna be a good gig. I can feel it. This is our 3rd gig in that last 6 weeks. Pretty cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X