LIne 6 POD Levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LIne 6 POD Levels

I've got that damn POD XT Live, and right now, I'm just using it into my computer, changing settings and shit.

The problem I've got is this. I've got a GREAT clean tone. Then I click to my drive tone, and it's about 20000X louder.

What do you guys do about this? I think I've got a solution, and I really don't like it.

A; All the settings I would use in a certain night...sit down with them, and use the amps volume for each bank (AKA 17A 17B 17C et cetera) and set it so the clean tone is about as loud as it can go. Then set my drive tones to be that loud.

Is this what you do? If that's the case, this is going to be a pain in the ass.

I know it sounds stupid, but the thing that I'm wondering is, is each amp/models master volume, basically like the banks master volume? For example, the volume knob on my setting for 17A is a JCM800's knob. Is that in essence the knob that controls the volume for the whole channel then? Or is there a MASTER volume over the whole bank, after you get the amp to sound the way you want it?

Re: LIne 6 POD Levels

OKay, I've been fucking with it even more,

it seems, sometimes with two different presets (I dled them all from the lin6 website) that even if they have the same amp, when the volume is say, 50% on one, and the other is 50%, the one still is 2x as loud.

Comment

sign up with guitarport and edit the volumes on the computer and save to exit live on the same bank and there you go, workable presets.

Comment

oop's I meant xt live not exit.

Comment

Check the compressor settings - you can dial in a much louder tone with it. see what the boost is on that.

Pete

Comment

Man, I feel like such a god damn moron with this thing.

The good news? I recorded something!

Comment

was it the compressor settings?

Comment

I don't know.

I don't even know if I was explaining it correctly, but this is a better worded (if I can say so...) version of what I'm encountering.

I've got one patch, sounds awesome. Another patch sounds awesome. The one patch (let's say 17 A is one, and 17 B is 2) is a JCM800 setting. the 2 patch is a Mark2C for clean (yeah I know..wierd).

Channel 1, super loud. Channel 2, super quiet.

I'm guessing what I've got to do, is find the maximum volume the quietest setting can push, and then lower my other volumes to that.

Okay, now the other thing, the compressor. I've only got to play with them a little bit, because, well they confuddle me. I don't use them in my rig, so I didn't fool with them on this.

I did notice, I would have it set, and I would hit the note HARD, and it wouldn't let it out loud (duh, that's a compressor for you) but then it would GET louder. I was like...hmm, I don't like compressor :P

Now, something I'm noticing from a LOT of those patches I dled, the "treadplate dual" or in other words, the Recitifer, sounds like ass and almost ALL of them have a stomp box infront of it for distortion, I don't need a box infront of my real one...or any I've used...so why in this?

I noticed also, some of the patches say "this file could be corrupt" I've already deleted about 70 patches (don't worry, I've still got 1400 left). Rather than try and load those, I just deleted them.

Comment

You can have the compressor on, and the gain cranked - and the compression effect turned down. When you do this, it can be used to level out volumes of patches - make louder ones loud, so to speak.

I like the treadplate dual, actually - I did a satriani clip with it direct. The backing sucks and the guitar is thin in spots (he multitracked the original and had harmonies) but here's the clip:

www.mothrastewart.com/audio/shallabalrecto.mp3

I have that tone stored somewhere on my PC... I'll see if I can dig it up later this weekend, if you want it.

Pete

Comment

I'll take every single tone you can send me. For now, I'm going to just tweak, either presets, tones from custom tone, or tones that people give me. I got some from Ifran, but a lot of them require the metal pack. At this point, I don't want more amp models, because I'll just be even more confused. That, and there's so many sounds here, I don't think I'll need any expansion.

I got some software that Newc hooked me up with, and so far, I've recorded one thing. I'm still learning the basic principles of the recording, but I figure that since I've got this software and this pod, I can do both, you know learn the software and the pod...that way I don't just bounce this fucking thing off of the way.

I'm an admited tube amp snob, (that doesn't know a lot about amps) but I also like a lot of amps that aren't tube, and I'm open minded to modeling.

I don't want anyone to think, I said I'd try modelling, and then just say I hate it. I really want to give this a fair chance, but man, it can be nerve racking.

As for backing tracks, how do you record yourself with them? Would I just transform them to a .wav and insert it in a track of my recording software?

Comment

When you say the compressor levels, what one do you mean? I guess there is the one that is active(or you can turn off) for all the channels, and then there is the one you can program into the stomp box section of the effects chain.

Comment

Is there a knob that says Channel Volume and one that says Master Volume? The POD 2 book said to crank the Channel Volume and set each patch's Master Volume so they're all evenly loud.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Nah Newc, my XT doesn't have like channel volume, and them master volume. Or else that's how I would have set them (that set up is similar to the Line 6 Spider 2 amplifiers).

Usually the set up is like this,

Drive, Bass, Mid, Treble, Presence, Volume.

Then it shows your FX chain, in which there are two possible units for compression (one through the eq/comp, and another possible one if you use the stomp effects).

It almost seems like what I have to do, is make my lowest volume channel, as loud as it can go, then match all the others to that.

On top of that, some of the patches, will have similar set ups, but one is like 2x as loud as the other...with the volume for each amp set the same.

One thing I can't get over is, you cannot get the "treadplate dual" to sound like a rectifier, unless you put a stomp box infront of it. Which is bullshit. I own a rectifier, I know that they have a TON of overdrive.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Nah Newc, my XT doesn't have like channel volume, and them master volume. Or else that's how I would have set them (that set up is similar to the Line 6 Spider 2 amplifiers).

Usually the set up is like this,

Drive, Bass, Mid, Treble, Presence, Volume.

Then it shows your FX chain, in which there are two possible units for compression (one through the eq/comp, and another possible one if you use the stomp effects).

It almost seems like what I have to do, is make my lowest volume channel, as loud as it can go, then match all the others to that.

On top of that, some of the patches, will have similar set ups, but one is like 2x as loud as the other...with the volume for each amp set the same.

One thing I can't get over is, you cannot get the "treadplate dual" to sound like a rectifier, unless you put a stomp box infront of it. Which is bullshit. I own a rectifier, I know that they have a TON of overdrive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't fret bro. Many of the patches have different volume levels because they are using cabinet modeling. You shouldn't be using cabinet modeling if you are using the POD through an amp with speakers. Turn it off. The POD is not designed to have its patches changed in a live setting with the cabinet modeling on unless you adjust all the patch levels independently. That is a royal pain in the ass. Turn the cabinet modeling off on all your patches and just tweak the individual volume for each and save. They will all be close in volume. You are experiencing exactly what most guys experience when they get a modeler. PANIC.
                            Don't panic, ask questions, keep tweaking, read the manual. When you get frustrated just walk away from it for a while. There are literally thousands of studio and session players using the XT live with outstanding results. You should be able to handle it... Right?
                            Answer these questions first:
                            Are you using the cabinet modeling on your patches?
                            What are you running it through?

I set up all my patches with cabinet modeling off and going through the actual amp I am using. Then, after I have all my live patches done I plug my modeler into my computer and I copy all my patches to new locations. Then, I add cabinet modeling to suit my taste.

Comment

Working...
                            X