Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help (I don't understand Impedance!)

Guys,

I have a Soldano HR50+ running into an 8 Ohm Marshall compact 4x12. I've recently stopped using my rack and so want to use a second 8 Ohm Marshall cab with the Soldano....

Do I need to alter the impedance setting on the back of the Soldano (it has 4, 8, and 16 Ohm settings) to run two 8 Ohm cabs instead of the current one cab setup?

Thanks
    Ian
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Re: Help (I don\'t understand Impedance!)

The setting, is it a knob you turn, or an input for 4, one for 8, and one for 16 ohm operation?

My Mesa has like 5 speaker outs on it, rather than having a switch. You match the impedance to the outputs on the amp.

If you have two 8 ohm cabs, and they run in parallel, it will be a 4 ohm load. Then you would use the outputs of the amp that are labeled 4 ohms, or you would turn the impedence selector to 4 ohms.

Not being familiar with your amp, I don't know.

Comment

The amp has two speaker outputs, and one impedance selector which coverns both outputs....

My concern is that powering two 8 ohm speakers won't use the same impedance setting.....
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

in your case use the 4 ohm setting for 2x8 ohms in parallel. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

eh, worst that can happen is you fry the output transformer...and that's only a freaking expensive repair :P

Yes though, it would be run it in 4 ohm mode, for your outputs, and plug two 8 ohm cabs in it.

Comment

Impedance:

You see, some times when men get older they have problems....

Sorry, wrong thread.

Comment

Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Yep, 4. My Mesa combo has an 8-ohm jack for the combo speaker and two 4-ohm jacks. When using another 8-ohm speaker cab with the combo speaker (or two separate speakers without the combo speaker hooked up) you run out of the 4-ohm jacks.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  eh, worst that can happen is you fry the output transformer...and that's only a freaking expensive repair :P

Yes though, it would be run it in 4 ohm mode, for your outputs, and plug two 8 ohm cabs in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW: IF you´re not sure on a tube amp, then mismatching with the AMP running LOWER that the cabs is ok... for example this same scenario with 2x16 ohm cabs, those could still be run into 4 if needed... Would caouse minimally more "stress" on the Output Tranny and power tubes, but won´t blow up... Just don´t do it the other way around [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

sorry to hijack a thread, but rather than starting a new one, i have a marshall valvestate 8004 poweramp that outputs at 8 ohms stereo i believe, could i run a marshall 1936 cab in stereo off of it?

Comment

Solid state amps usually aren´t a problem, you should be able to run more or less any cab or combination of cabs off that, down to a minimum impedance of about 2 ohms... I´d try to stay in the "guitar range" of 4-16, though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X