Mesa Mark III gig review!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Mark III gig review!!!!

Well guys, my band CHASE just did that Skylar Neil Benefit concert and I decided to try out my Mesa Boogie Mark III.
    I must be getting too old for this shit.
    We needed to set up quickly and we didn't get a soundcheck. They had a very large PA system and 2 VERY competant sound engineers. The sound was very loud but very clear. Way to loud for me. I started with my Boogie on 3. The soundman told me I was blowing the stage away and that I needed to turn down. I turned down to 2 and eventually to 1.5 on my lead channel. How does a Mark III sound on 1.5? Well, no where nears as good as it does on 3. This amp is way too powerful for the clubs we will be playing at. I had a feeling that the amp would be too loud. At home I would regularly jam on 3-4 and my wife would always complain that the house was shaking. How did we sound with a Single Rectifier on one side and a Mark 3 on the other. Everybody said we sounded awesome. My wife told me that this band is one of the best sounding bands I have ever been in. I didn't like playing on 1.5. I would have much preferred to use my tube driven rack system with my Boss GT-6.
    I am 99% sure I will be selling the Mark III because I will never need that much power and I am sure there are plenty of players that do. Look for it in the classifieds. I am sticking to modeling. It suits my needs better.
    To me, a 100w Mark III on 1.5 is a complete waste live. Now I know why I sold my Marshall 2210. I just can't turn up one of these amps loud enough at the clubs I play at. This gig was LOUD. Really loud. Anyway, regarding the tone of the Mark III... Holy crap, it sounded good before I had to turn it down. Trust me bro's, this amp is pretty damn loud on 1.5 on the lead channel. I could hear myself pretty good.When it was on 3 I was blowing the first 3 rows of people off their seats. The soundman told me my rig was so loud on 3 that he wasn't putting me through the PA at all. That is why I had to turn it down. I have to admit... it was too loud.

Re: Mesa Mark III gig review!!!!

Wow, what a complete turn around. Not expected.

Why don't you use the master slave out, John, into the poweramp you're using for the GT6. That way you can crank the Mesa, and control the MV on the poweramp, without having a hotplate or something colouring the tone...?
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

There is a very simple solution to this problem, either turn the speaker cabinet sideways or facing the back of the club, if they have that good of a pa system i am sure they had monitors and you can hear yourself through them.

Comment

Running into a 16 ohm 4x12 cab can tame that beast quite a bit. MkIII's can handle the mismatch, no sweat. I've used mine in plenty of clubs, but mine is a 15w/65w - as opposed to a 60w/100w. I'm not sure how much of a vol diff that makes....

Can you freakin imagine the 300w head?
        [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
        750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          There is a very simple solution to this problem, either turn the speaker cabinet sideways or facing the back of the club, if they have that good of a pa system i am sure they had monitors and you can hear yourself through them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done both of those things more than a few times. If the back wall was bouncing too much back, I would hang some black theater drape over the cab/mike. Engineers freaking loved it.
          750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
          Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Well, I've had that problem so many times that I went back to running 50 watters with attenuation. Most clubs, 30 watts on 6 or 7 is to much. You could try a pair of tube power convertors before you sell the boogie tho...or a Weber load box.

Comment

That must be a pretty potent 100 watts. The F series didn't seem to get that loud when on three. In fact, they let me get away with playing it on three in the guitar shop for a few minutes. It's not quiet persay, but I didn't think that would be loud enough for a gig either.

Was it a problem with the mics clipping, or is the amp just that fuckin' loud?

Comment

If it's loud like the Marshall 2210 he sold, then it's FUCKING LOUD.

I wanted to be awesome, so I turned every knob on that amp up to ten...suprised I still have hearing, and windows...that amp was so loud.

My Mesa Boogie gets cranked, and I don't care if they like it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Sucks that your rig had to be tamed for the show man... It is very frustrating when that happens. The Mark III is just an amp that BEGS to be cranked and once you really start jamming on it nice and loud you'll hate to play it at any lower volume setting.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Was it a problem with the mics clipping, or is the amp just that fuckin' loud?

[/ QUOTE ]

His amp was so loud that after we turned down, I could only hear myself through the monitors. John's Mark III however filled up the whole stage. The thing is John had good tone even at the lower level. My Single Rectifier had good tone until we turned down. It wasn't bad, but it lost a little of that rectifier charm. I'm considering a hotplate or a power brake. If I were you John, I would consider the same. With our Boogies turned down, we still had the best tone out of all 6 bands that played. I was complimented on that by most of the other guitarists.

John, don't sell it, because I may have to sell a kidney to get it! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

I hate to clip the wings of this amp. With the power that this thing has I will never be able to exploit its full potential. Not even close. My wife also tole me that because it is a diamond plate Mark III it looked really cool. I can imagine another guy who really needs the power and tone would really dig this Mark III. Its almost not fair to the amp to leave it locked up in my closet with a fresh set of tubes in it. Its going.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I hate to clip the wings of this amp. With the power that this thing has I will never be able to exploit its full potential. Not even close. My wife also tole me that because it is a diamond plate Mark III it looked really cool. I can imagine another guy who really needs the power and tone would really dig this Mark III. Its almost not fair to the amp to leave it locked up in my closet with a fresh set of tubes in it. Its going.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly i think you will regret it if you sell it, like i said there are so many ways around this problem, between hotplates or just putting your speaker cab somewheres else. You may laugh, but some of the best tone i heard was the guitarist for avril lavine, he had 3 dummy cabs on stage and had his one main cab under the stage running the amp really high. This solution let him blast the amp, without blasting the rest of the band off the stage. I know in many small clubs you wont have the ability to put it under the stage, but still off to the side, or facing the back etc.. Another solution is getting to 2x12's, but instead of putting them on top of each other, you put one facing directly into the back of the other one, so this way the volume level drops 50%.

Just another little FYI, i am a huge mesa player and here is a little tip, after you go past 5 on the volume knob, the mesa really doesnt go any louder, they usually just get more compressed.

Comment

Hotplate it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] There would be a certain point where you can't turn down any lower or you'll start sounding like ass [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I know it was a multi-band bill but I would have told the sound guy fuck off and to bring everything else up or pointed my amp bachwards and opened it up. This sounds like a venue that isn't really about rock or metal music. For a live club I just don't understand the volume restraints in your neck of the woods. Live music is meant to be loud and felt. If the clubs audience wants chat while music is playing let them leave the fucking place [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm from the gig with excessive power school. I play loud and there were only a few instances where volume levels were dictated but usually it was by the headliner of the bill not te club owner of soundguy, they didnt want to be out done by opening acts.
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

What's with all the hotplate talk, no-one saw my post? :'( [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Does yours not have a Master Slave Out? Don't waste money on a hotplate then, rig it thru another poweramp and crank the mkIII.
                            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

John - try an attenuator first. Seriously. I got through the 80's on one. My live rig for many years was a SD Rhoads, Carvin X100B, misc. 4x12 cabs, a couple old Boss pedals, and a Power Soak. It's comical to me that my setup was so simple compared to all the folks that had all the fancy rack rigs and those were the guys that used to come up to me at clubs complimenting me on my tone [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Soundmen loved me. I could get my tone on any volume as long as I was loud enough to get the speakers moving enough air. All the other guitar players I played with were always fighting to dial in tone at various volumes -- all I did was turn the knob on the Power Soak. At most I would boost the highs a bit because the Power Soak sucked the highs a bit when you turned it way down.

BTW, the Power Soak is about the worst sounding one of the lot and it did the trick. These days the Weber MASS, Dr. Z Trainwreck clone, and THD Hotplate are all much better.
                              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X