Tried an OD100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried an OD100?

Anyone try an CA OD100? My local guitar store got one in today and I was excited to try it. It was a store where I couldn't really crank it and I didn't think it sounded amazing in the end. Good, but not amazing. They had it hooked up to a 2x12 (don't know what kind of speakers were in it). Was the lack of volume or the cab a limiting factor? I was really expecting more...

Re: Tried an OD100?

I didn't word my post right thinking back on it. I've searched the archives and found a few people who have tried them, but not many who own them. Anyone buy one and keep it?
    I'm curious what it sounds like to people who have one versus listening to clips that don't tell you everything.

Comment

I've played both the standard stock Suhr OD100 and the SH/SE OD100. I thought they were both very nice amps and sounded great (not amazing, or spectacular enough for me to buy one). Definitely a Fenderish Blackface clean channel married to a modified JCM800 2203 OD channel. The SE has a bunch more preamp gain, but you loose the lead channel boost and there's a larger volume differential between the clean/od channel's respective volumes. Definitely some nice tones in these boxes.

And Yes, you do really need to crank the OD100 to get the goods... I'm talking at least 12:00 on the volume knob. These are not low volume, bedroom, or small stage amps.

Comment

I tried one out yesterday at a local ampfest. Sounded good. Immediately afterward tried out a VHT CLX Head and I liked it better though. Used same cab... Ear Candy 2X12 with Mesa Black Shadow 90's.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

And Yes, you do really need to crank the OD100 to get the goods... I'm talking at least 12:00 on the volume knob. These are not low volume, bedroom, or small stage amps.

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured that was probably the problem, though this isn't the kind of place you could crank it that loud. Seems like the reviews are pretty mixed. Fun to try I guess.

Comment

Well, if the preamp section in this amp, is like the CAE3+se (supposed to be I think), it could take some definite tweaking. I have been through a lot of preamp tubes and this preamp REALLY changes tonally with the different tubes.

Plus, to get really heavy, I use EMG81s and an EMG PA-2 onboard preamp. Major crunch improvement there.

It also enjoys some parametric EQing to help manipulate the freqs that many of us like, but the preamp section isnt really designed attenuate or accenuate. Big change there too.

Cool preamp, gobs of character and nice tone. One of the best cleans I've heard really. Not quite a metal monster out of the box though. Patience and tweaking will help it realize quite a bit though.

It's still not a super brutal or heavily distorted piece though. More oriented to shred guitar, VanHalen 1, on steroids. So, not so bad. Use too much gain and it gets too fuzzy and loses definition. etc.

All in all, pretty cool piece.

Comment

Listen to brother John ...Im was there as soon as he got that unit...and we couldn't dial a "metal" tone out of it to save our lives..but with much persevereance and patience and TUBE swapping and several eq options....John got that thing humpin'...very toneful and girthy...not a gain monster....but enought to do whatever I need to articulate...and he sounds great with it..

BUT it is powered by the awesome VHT 2150 w KT88s and that to me has a lot to do with what I like about his sound..

I want to plug my Uber preamp section into that bastage..

I LOVE the preamp section of my uber more than it's poweramp section only because it comes with EL34s...and those tubes SUCK ASS for the kind of saturated preamp gain I go for..but I do have sounding pretty fucking killer without the need for eqs or any extrernal BS and a fairly high Volume level with minimal poweramp coloration...that I like! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
              X