Pickup for a Norlan Era Les Paul.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup for a Norlan Era Les Paul.

I have a Les Paul Custom from the 70's and I currently hate the bridge Pickup. It sounds too grimy. I believe its a Gibson 500T, or 498t.

I was thinking about EMGS, but I don't really want to get them as I had them before and sold them. I want heavey distortion.

How are the X2N Dimarzios?

Re: Pickup for a Norlan Era Les Paul.

I recently got an LP Standard a few weeks ago and I love the sound of the burstbuckers that came in it. They have some really nice chunk to them when playing metal and sound really nice clean as well.

Comment

i put in duncan distortions in my LP style guitar and i love them. they are even nickel covered.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Hmmm. Never had a problem with my 500T or 498T [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
        I get tons of heavy, punchy, and smooth distortion (not farty or strained like I did with a DiMarzio SD).

What amp/preamp type thing are you using? It could be an EQ issue.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          i put in duncan distortions in my LP style guitar and i love them. they are even nickel covered.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 on the Distortions.... They are my favorite.

Comment

My explorer will tear off your face with 498/500Ts, maybe yours are duds [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, it's odd that they sound that bad, they seem less flabby and over the top than an invader, but definitely not ideal for clean work IMO

59 or distortion maybe? I like em both OK
            When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

I seriously dig the 500T. Always been a great high gain pup. What amp are you playing through?

Comment

if it is a 70's it wouldnt be either of those pickups unless someone installed them into that guitar. The 500's and 498's didnt exist back then. I believe in the 70's and 80's all they had was PAF style pickups, i could be wrong but i dont believe soo. Michael you are part of the Les Paul Forum, ask them they would know better

And from that i have gathered the 500T is kinda modeled after the dimarzio super which is close to the SD distortion.

Comment

Me, or Michael?
                  I have a 50watt JCM800 and a Line 6 Flextone head connected to a Rivera 4X12. Both are Explorer approved [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                  When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Are they the ones that have the covers glued so you can't take them off? If these are the ones your talking about I agree the worst sounding pickups Gibson ever loaded into a guitar. I think they were used in 76-78 I had them in a Les Paul Artisan and a explorer.

Comment

I'm using a Fender Roc Pro 1000, and a Carvin 2x12. I just don't like the sound the picksup make, I didn't like it through a Pod 2.0 either.

Comment

Gibson had the Dirty Fingers pickups in the late 70s/early 80s, and those were styled after (read: copies of) the DiMarzio SD, but the 500T sounds more like a Duncan Distortion to me, and the 498T reminds me slightly of a JB, but I like the 498T better personally.

That particular LPC was mine, and I don't know what the pickups were - thanks Gibson for not putting a model designation on the bottom plates [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, I think JGCable said he changed the pickups when he had it after me? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                        I put the Jazz in the middle, though.

Anyhoo, someone changed them before I got it because two were stamped Gibson USA on the bottom and the other one wasn't IIRC.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Wow, Fender RP1000 and Carvin 2x12 - same setup I used to use live and you didn't like it? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                          That combo sounded good even with stock Jackson pickups in a KV-3.

Hmmm. I'd check solder joints in the cavity.
                          Or go ahead and swap the bridge pickup for a Duncan or DiMarzio - can't hurt [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                          X