Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boss GT 8 for 80's metal and shred type music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boss GT 8 for 80\'s metal and shred type music?

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've noticed that most modern metal players that use modelers go with Line 6.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whos says that? yes the cheap little 15 year old bastards that cant afford shit do, but if you have some decent cash you go with a high gain tube amp. I right now have a ENGL powerball. THe BEST high gain amp out there right now IMO in the 2k range.

IMO line 6 doesnt have its own tone, its basically just a copy from everyone else's tone. yes on some of there amps they have like line 6 INSANE!! crunch, and what not but there nothing impressive.

Stay away from multi effects processors and amp modelers, and just get a nice high gain tube head

[/ QUOTE ]

Your post count is showing in the above statement.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Some of the best players and gigging musicians on this board use modeling amps including a respected tube amp builder here. I won't get into the modeling vs tube amp debate. If you want to read about it just search the history. There are hundereds of posts to read. I will tell you that I have an entire house full of killer tube amps and the rig I use live is based around a Boss GT-6. Ask anybody who has heard my live tone their opinion. Its usually shock and awe preceeded by a trip to the local GC to pick up their own modeler. I shit you not.

Comment

I really don't want to get into the tube vs modeling debate. I actually started to save money for a Bogner XTC. I'm should be getting that amp by Christmas. In the meantime, I want to get something I could use to jam in my house at night, so it would be a Boss or a Line 6 modeler.

Comment

Econ, if you're just looking for something to hold you over until the Bogner, you probably don't want to spend too much. Try the POD 2.0 ($199) or MF is blowing out the GT-6 for $299!
        Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Or just grab a Behringer V-Amp 2 or a Pandora PX-4.

Comment

I have a PX4 that I use when I can't be loud (which is the majority of the time) and I really like it. I barely spent any time setting it up and it sounds damn good to me, better than my Soldano for low volume stuff.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              No worries. Were you able to come up with your own sounds with the XT live or did you downloaded patches a Line 6 website?

[/ QUOTE ]
              I am making my own presets and I also have some friends who are making presets. Sometimes I tweak those to my liking.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I have a PX4 that I use when I can't be loud (which is the majority of the time) and I really like it. I barely spent any time setting it up and it sounds damn good to me, better than my Soldano for low volume stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is what I am so impressed with. I didn't even read the manual. I just plugged it in to my computer, plugged my guitar in and started shredding. The factory presets are REALLY good. Now that I have read the manual twice or three times I am beginning to understand how powerful the PX4 is. The looper, pitch transposer for both guitar and CD input and backing rhythm tracks are worth it alone. Its outstanding for learning new songs. It also comes with a guitar strap clip that you thread through your strap that mounts to the PX4. It even has a wireless infrared transmitter in case you have wireless headphones. Think about it. If you had a wireless guitar system and wireless headphones you could jam with abolutely no cables. I use a short 1' cable that goes from the PX4 to my guitar input jack. Then I just use my wireless headphones. Thats just plain COOL.

Comment

Sometimes I do think that I shouldn't be spending that much. That's one of the reasons I am considering the Boss GT6. I've trid to locate sound clips for it but had no luck. I even visit the Boss Central Forum and got clips of the GT8 but not of the GT6.

Comment

Agree with most said above. Try the POD 2.0 or GT6 or 8 if you want. Your gonna have to spend time with ANY modeller to get the tone you want, so might as well start with something relativly cheap if your gonna buy such a nice amp later on

Comment

I was recently in the US for business and had a chance to try a Bogner XTC. I played with it for an hour and it was fantastic. Definitely what I've been looking for. The amp is like $3500 new, so I figure it will take me like 4 months to save enough money to buy it. I cannot stay 4 months without playing, so that's the reason I'm thinking about the modeler.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Econ, if you're just looking for something to hold you over until the Bogner, you probably don't want to spend too much. Try the POD 2.0 ($199) or MF is blowing out the GT-6 for $299!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was able to get a brand new pod 2.0 for $169 at guitar center, they had it i think for $189 and i talked them down. These are great little devices, i have two and love them both!

Comment

why not pod xt, or is the 2.0 better?
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Actually there are original PODs on ebay that are going for less than a 100 bucks.

Comment

i say go for the POD 2.0. i love mine, it sounds good for 80's metal, the presets are nice and they are VERY affordable. it will be sufficient enough until you get your bogner, IMHO.
                              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                Some of the best players and gigging musicians on this board use modeling amps including a respected tube amp builder here. I won't get into the modeling vs tube amp debate. If you want to read about it just search the history. There are hundereds of posts to read. I will tell you that I have an entire house full of killer tube amps and the rig I use live is based around a Boss GT-6. Ask anybody who has heard my live tone their opinion. Its usually shock and awe preceeded by a trip to the local GC to pick up their own modeler. I shit you not.

[/ QUOTE ]

My post wasnt ment for like a live gig to use effects or amp modeling. The way i took the thread was that he was looking for baiscally a rig for his house, so i said i think that yo should go witha tube amp. of course i know many musicians that use line 6 for effects and what not. IMO i dislike them ALOT i find there distortions to be extremely fake sound when put up to a tube head. Thers like no feeling to the tone, just very computer generated. for effects i use pedals. dont like anything made by line 6 dont think i ever will.

Comment

Working...
                                X