Anyone played a jcm800 2205?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone played a jcm800 2205?

I'm thinking about buying one of these but I wont be able to play it first.
    Anyone here have any experience with one? Its the same as a 2210 but 50 watts. Two channels/reverb.
    Thanks in advance!!
    Custom Shop-There is no substitute!

Re: Anyone played a jcm800 2205?

Used to own one. The earlier models had some bleed between the channels - the clean channel had some dirt in the background, and the lead channel had some clean mixed with it, so to speak. Not a bad amp at all though... sounds better to me than the JCM900s and the TSL/DSLs, but not as gainy. If you're into a super saturated modern metal sound, you probably won't like it without a boost pedal in front.

Pete

Comment

Thanks Pete
      Looking for a classic Marshall crunch sound that I can play at a reasonable volume. Brown Sound so to speak.I've been playing an old original 5150 with the gain about halfway and it sounds pretty damn good for a affordably priced amp.I just havent had a marshall in a long time so I figured I'd do My homework. Someone recomended a 2210 to Me,but I'm all ears for a better suggestion.

Comment

I had twooo Lead Series 2210s matched with a Boss DD3 and in the loop and a OD-1 in the front... w / 2 - 4 12 cabs loaded w / celesion 80's and it was one of the best Marshall tones I ever heard....

I had the 22o5 ..I didn't like it as near as much as the 100 wt jobs..not because of volume..more balls and low end with more headroom!
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

i own a 2210. i pretty much agree with pete. my 2210 has none of this bleedthrough thing going on, but the gain is not your super saturated death metal tone, thats for sure. i'd compare it to the TSL's crunch channel in terms of gain. sounds completely different, though. the 5150 with the gain set at 5 has MUCH more gain than this head, keep that in mind. it also is definitely no bedroom amp.
          what is reasonable volume for you? if you are regulary gigging the 2210/05 is a good amp, but for non-gigging musicians it's not really the best amp to get imo, as it cuts through a band mix like a knife.

maybe you should also take a look at the laney gh series amps. not exactly the same as marshall of course, but very british (running el34 tubes instead of the stock 6l6) and much less dependent on volume. it starts delivering great sounds at around 2 on the master, whereas the 2210 must be turned up at least to 3-4

Comment

I wouldn't compare the tone , feel or gain of a 2210 to ANY dsl/tsl I ever heard...

apples to oranges..IMO

I dialed up a genuine Criss Oliva tone with mine...Edge of thorns tone...to a T.

you can't get that with a DSL...you get fuzzy MUSH with a TSL/DSL..

The gain is subtantial with the 2210...not a 5150 but more "usable" smooth gain from any other stock Marshall head I've heard.

I A / B my 2210 and 2205 right next to each other side by side...the 2210 was a lot darker and ballsier at the same volume levels..

and both my 2210s and 2205 DID have that "bleed thru" that Pete mentioned...but it's not an issue if you're only looking for one particulair tone..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

yeah, well maybe it's because i have the clean channel set to a very low volume [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

anyways, i didn't compare the TONE of the tsl and the 2210, i was comparing the AMOUNT of gain. the crunch channel on the tsl has enough for metal rhythm, so does the 2210. as long as you're not looking for a really saturated rhythm tone, that is [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

my 2210 isn't smooth at all by the way. it's very raw sounding, and thats why i like it. it kicks your ass. it's not pleasant sounding gain. after all, thats the reason why it cuts so well.

man, the dsl/tsl aren't as bad as you say they are. they may have reliability issues (apparently....my lead guitar player ran two 412 cabs set to 4 ohm each into both 4ohm outputs on the tsl head...putting a 2 ohm load on a 4 ohm output - for more than a year. it NEVER failed), but they sound decent. i can't comment on the clean channel, but the crunch on the tsl and the lead channels low gain mode on the dsl can be tweaked to sounds great for thrash/speed metal. just keep the presence down and the mids up. and the gain down.
              the lead channel however sounds like crap for rhythm playing, but thats not what it is for. it's for playing leads, and it gets the job done.

/rant

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I wouldn't compare the tone , feel or gain of a 2210 to ANY dsl/tsl I ever heard...

apples to oranges..IMO

I dialed up a genuine Criss Oliva tone with mine...Edge of thorns tone...to a T.

you can't get that with a DSL...you get fuzzy MUSH with a TSL/DSL..

The gain is subtantial with the 2210...not a 5150 but more "usable" smooth gain from any other stock Marshall head I've heard.

I A / B my 2210 and 2205 right next to each other side by side...the 2210 was a lot darker and ballsier at the same volume levels..

and both my 2210s and 2205 DID have that "bleed thru" that Pete mentioned...but it's not an issue if you're only looking for one particulair tone..

[/ QUOTE ]

Horns,

In your time of trying the TSL/DSL's did you ever change the tubes. They are not bad amps once you replace the stock shit tubes, and i mean every last one of them!

As to doing the A/B test, well just keep in mind, every amp sounds different, you can take two 2210's made no the same day and they can both sound completly different. Amps today are more consistant because of the manfacturing process is more accurate, but back in the 80's it wasnt, and i wont even go into hand wired amps.

Basically you just have to listen with your ears to see if you like it, but Horns is right, you will get alot more headroom with the 100 Watt, but if you are playing small clubs or at home alot you probaly wont want that headroom.

Comment

I've never heard a channel switcher Marshall that sounded as good as the single channel heads.
                  I think that's why many pro's will use two or three single channel amps instead of one or two switchers. There are always tonal compromises made it seems...at least to my ear.

Comment

Siggs..Me or John wouldn't own a dsl / tsl if you gave them to us...seriously!

They are the absolutely without question the WORST Marshalls ever constructed...peroid..and I have worked with mine and a few others..John and I both..and couldn't believe how useless those heads are.

to me they sound like a country amp...no gain at all...and I don't call that fuzzy flatulent fuzz gain...I call it mushy , fuzzy , saggy unuasble shit..

That is my total conclusion..and it is NOT up for debate...just my very own conclusion and strong opinion..

DSL/TSL are GARBAGE!..

I'd take a Peavey over those pieces of shit anyday of the week...

Marshall should be embarrased to put their name on such crap...

I said this while demoing a TSL at GC...and they all agreed with me (they know me up there and know what I'm about) me...anyone who is in the know of what a REAL amp is..Bogner , VHT , Soldano , Engl...that's what I'm talking about..

one dude that is playig with Ripper owens...a friend of John and I said dude..."you need an uberschall" fuck all these pieces of shit...and he was the manager of GC..

and he was right...real amps ...for well ...real men...who play ...real metal..

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Chuckracer
                      I agree the single channels do sound better,so I'm gonna look in that direction. I have a bogner metropolis(single channel heaven) that is My clean amp anyway along with a half dozen vintage fenders.I also have a Bogner extacy classic which sounds great but wouldnt mind a little more gain,I just havent had a marshall in a long time a I thought it would be cool to find one I really liked. My 5150 floors Me as I tend to be an amp snob and I got that in a package deal planning to sell it and then the Hurricanes hit here and the dealer where it was getting a tune up had to go all through it. The guy that worked on them knew them well and really did a good job because that thing sounds killer and it a measley 5150. when I got it back I turned it on to make sure it was ok and was gonna sell it and couldnt believe how great it sounded! I agree with Horns too about the dsl/tsl's as I didnt like them at all when My Bud bought one and was all proud of Himself. So anyway here I am praising My Peavey!! LOL What single channel Marshall would fit the bill for a cool hi gain head?
                      Thanks for all the help everybody!!

Comment

The biggest problem I have with Marshall is consistancy. Any time I've tried them, they all sound totally different. I mean even the same model. As an example, I've played through about five or six DSL's and I only liked two of them. Out of the two, one of them sounded better. I think they allow too much tolerence for their parts. As for a cool single channel head, I wouldn't go Marshall. Find a Soldano SL60. But, that's just me.

Comment

you can't put the DSL/TSL's in the same catagory as the JCM800's or JMP's, totally different. Marshall has been on a gradual decline in quality in their workmanship starting the JCM900... just my opinion so sorry for those who have them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

"you can't put the DSL/TSL's in the same catagory as the JCM800's or JMP's, totally different. Marshall has been on a gradual decline in quality in their workmanship starting the JCM900... just my opinion so sorry for those who have them "

AMEN Brother Shawn.. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

I too , pity those who have them... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

can't you tell..??? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Use to have a White JCM 800 50w with the Channel Switching and Reverb. This is a link to a photo, the only one I have of it.
                              http://www.larryny1.com/sitebuilderc...ictures/lm.jpg

sorry bout my cheesy 80s getup, but hey it was the 80's I never kept the amp, so you could say I didn't like it much back then. From what I remember it wasn't as killer as my 2204 Amps.

Comment

Working...
                              X