No announcement yet.

how can i play my new head? (ohm stuff)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how can i play my new head? (ohm stuff)

I finally got home to my laney aor pro tube 50 head. no speaker cab yet, though. I was wondering if I could just unplug the speaker cable from my fender combo and plug it in to the laney. Laney has selectable 4/8/16 ohm outputs. my fender manual says a few things that someone who knows about this thing could probably interpret into a solid response for me:
    "Main Speaker - This is the main plug-in connection to the speakers and must always be used as their primary connection. External Speaker - PLug-in connection for an external speaker jack and must only be used in conjunction with the main speaker jack. If this jack is used without the main speaker jack, there will be no sound. The external speaker jack must be used with an 8ohm speaker enclosure." "Power output: 60W into 8ohm or 4 ohm at 5%THD"
    If I remember right, two 8 ohm cabs together make 4 ohm, so that would mean I just plug the Fender speakers into my laney at 8ohm right? I should know this stuff, I just don't want to mess anything up.

Re: how can i play my new head? (ohm stuff)

Ya lost me...are the speakers in the Fender cab 8 ohm each? If so, they are probably wired in series making the load at the speaker jack 4 ohm...set the Laney for a 4 ohm load and rock out!

Comment

"Speaker: Four 10", 8ohm Fender Model V 1030 Special Design (P/N 048832)

Comment

wired in series would be 16ohms,
        wired in parallel would be 4ohms [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Im kinda lost on the orig question too. Final Sac
        can you rephrase?

Comment

I'm trying to see how I can play my new head through the speakers of my Fender combo.

Comment

Whoops! It's too late to be thinking...John is right, me way wrong!

K, it's a 4x10 Fender amp with four 8 ohm speakers. The load at the jack is more than likely 8 ohms with the four speakers wired series/parallel, so set the Laney for an 8 ohm load.

What's the two cab stuff you mentioned? this is where you lost us.

Comment

I was quoting from the Fender manual about the two speaker jacks the combo has. I was trying to confirm my detective work that if both plugs are used, and the external cab is an 8 ohm load, with the amp doing either 8ohm or 4 ohm, that means that the internal speakers would have to be an 8 ohm load as well.

Comment

Working...
              X