The FX loop of your amp (in this case, a rectifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The FX loop of your amp (in this case, a rectifier

I've never really fucked with my fx loops before, on any amp.

I've been able to get a good tone, always going infront of the amp.

Talk to me here, what FX are good in the loop? How do you set your levels on your loop? (In my case, I'm running a triple rectifier).

I'm going to start reading my manual on this. It's not an alien concept, as I've used the FX loop on my mixer before, for my fx for it.

All this talk of, GT6 Line 6 G major and shit like that, is making me wonder "are my stomp boxes really the way to go?" "Maybe I could get a G-major, and then get some foot pedal, control the amp and the processor?"

See, it's messing up my thought process.

Re: The FX loop of your amp (in this case, a rectifier

Mainly time-based effects should be used in the loop (chorus, delay, phaser, flanger, tremolo), as they usually sound better there than in front of the amp. The effects loop is after the preamp, so your preamp signal travels to the loop, then the effects come out of the loop in the power amp stage, after the preamp signal, leaving the preamp signal uneffected. If you use effects before the preamp and straight into the amp's input, it can cause unwanted distortion and be less pleasing, but experiment and see, as many people have used effects in front of amps that don't have loops. I've also used an eq in the loop with great results, even though it's gain-based like an od/distortion or wah pedal; though, wah can be used in the loop if you like that sound (basically the same as using it after an od/distortion pedal instead of in front of it).
    As far as the level control of the loop, I usually turn it all the way up and then adjust the output of the effect from its own level control to what sounds good to me.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I think that stompboxes sound the best with Rectifiers.
      Time based effects in the loop. Everything else put in front of the amp.

Comment

I'm going to fuck with it before work tomorrow.

Other than the POD XT Live, I've got this to run

Boss GE7 NS2 BF2, a couple old boss japan chorus pedals, and a tuner, and a wah.

Comment

Is my FX loop broken?

I plugged my flanger into the loop. Input of the flanger to the send of the amp. Output to the return. I set the levels at noon. I clicked the flanger on. I turned the rotary knob in the back to select "loop on". I turned the other rotary knob to select the "foot switch on" (footswitch has a button I can click to turn on the fx loop, or turn it off).

I turned all the knobs on the flanger up. Basically, I wanted to hear a drastic change, to a completely, no flanger signal.

Well...Click...loop on...Flanger is flangerering and I can hear it. Click...loop off...I can still hear flanger flangering.

Is it broke?

Comment

Deneb, here is how it goes.
            Pedal output ----- effects return
            Pedal input -----effects send

Think of it this way. Your effects loop has 2 jacks on it. Send and Return. If you plug a cable into the Send jack it is SENDING a signal to your pedal thus you plug it into the pedal INPUT jack. When you plug a cable into the RETURN jack it is recieving a signal which is why the other end plugs into the OUTPUT jack of your pedal.

Put your Wah in front. Put everything else in the loop. The GE7 will act as a boost in the loop and as an added stage of gain out in front of the amp. I don't think you need any more gain so it might be better to either not use it or put it in the loop for solo boost or for a change in the EQ for solo's.
            Put your delay in the loop.

Comment

Also make sure you have the level up on the loop on your Rectifier. Lastly, make sure that your rectifier loop is set to active.

Comment

I have an F 50 and in the loop my MXR Flanger does not sound very good. Boogie recomends cranking the level on the stomp box then adjusting the loop knob accordingly. Only problem is the MXR doesn't have a level knob on it. The other thing that kills the sound in the loop is my Hush
                pedal. It Hushes the noise but kills the highs.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I have an F 50 and in the loop my MXR Flanger does not sound very good. Boogie recomends cranking the level on the stomp box then adjusting the loop knob accordingly. Only problem is the MXR doesn't have a level knob on it. The other thing that kills the sound in the loop is my Hush
                  pedal. It Hushes the noise but kills the highs.

[/ QUOTE ]

A better hush pedal will do a better job. The MXR Smartgate works great.

Comment

Thanks, JG. I was thinking of trying the Boss one but will give this a try, too.

Comment

Did you read what I typed John? I didn't have a delay (well I didn't feel like hooking up the XT) but I ran a flanger in the loop...the problem was, I had the loop on with the knob in the back of the amp, but with the FS, I should be able to click it on and off.

regardless, of it being on or off, the flanger was still flanging.

Comment

Don't even read my reply...jesus god am I retarded.

There are these positions on the knob

FS, 1, 2, 3, Bypass, and on. I had it on ON where it would be ON all the time. If you have it on Footswitch...it actually...footswitches on and off!!! If you have it on 1, 2, or 3, it's always on, on that channel.

Omfg, I figured it out! I feel all like...smart now.

Comment

Not to make you feel like a retard, but the instruction manual for the Triple Rec has all this information in it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Maybe I shouldn't say this...but I actually read it.

Comment

I re-read the manual, because I was certain I didn't miss anything,

I didn't have a problem patching the effects, or getting the signals right, but I did have a problem being able to footswitch off my loop.

I read the manual, (I was sure, but not 100% certain this is where I got it) but it said to put the rotary knob at LOOP ON.

When it's on loop on, it's not footswitchable. So it was this God Damn book that put me in the quagmire, not me being stupid, or my amp being messed up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

See, I used to leave the loop on at all times, because when you do that, you can use the front panel control as a solo boost, AND you have the output control that you can use as a master volume. I never ran FX in it, but always had it on.

Comment

Working...
                              X