Lee Jackson amplifiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lee Jackson amplifiers

hey guys. I've looked at the XLS 100, it seems as if it's a good amp. but how much do they actually cost and is anyone selling them?

Any one using them too?
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Re: Lee Jackson amplifiers

I've played a few of the older Metaltronix amps including both the XLA & XLS 1000 (there is no XLS 100 btw)... and none of them impressed me that much. I also owned a few of his modified JCM800 Marshalls, which sounded better... but still not great IMHO. All of his amps have way too much preamp gain, sound way too thin/trebly, and basically embody the phrase "icepick to the forehead".

YMMV.

Comment

yeah i meant to add an extra 0 at the end,lol.

i guess they are just incredibly over priced then? like mesa [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
      93 USA Soloist EDS
      USA HT6 Juggernaut
      Charvel DK24FR

Comment

I had 2 of the xls 1000 and I also had the m1000. They are ok for what they are, but dont think you are going to get a modern metal tone. They are good for a ac/dc type of tone. They are very noisy and loud as shit. They are rated at 100 watts but seem to be louder than any 100 watter I have heard. If you are looking for that type of tone they are pretty cool. The build quality is very good. I just couldnt get over how noisy they are. I have seen them sell for $500 to $900. It depends on the condition they are in. They pop up on ebay pretty often.

Comment

i know for awhile zakk was using the metaltronix amps, i think that was on no rest for the wicked album.

Comment

I personally love them. I thought my M-1000 was awesome!

Comment

I know alexi laiho has used the perfect connection preamp on every album except their first im pretty sure. Just listen to some children of bodom to hear his tone, its a pretty good tone IMO

Comment

yup alexi and roope use the gp-1000 preamp, i have one and with my j50bc/je-1000 in my rhoads, the gain is insane, can get the preamps damn cheap as well, get a good tube poweramp like the peavey classic 50, and a cab and your set [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I had two ampeg 100 wt Lee Jackson...one w /6550s and one with EL34's

I was partial to the 6550s of course...Zakk endosred those but I never seen him play them...I had the ampeg brochure and he's pictured and posing with that amp...he also endorsed Morley wahs..but i never seen him play those either..

who knows..
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I have a XLS-500, and I really like it. Sure, it has a lot of negative issues (noise, no clean, etc.) but if you do actually like the sound, (which I do, and I play death and thrash) you should contemplate getting one. The 500 (50w) is LOUD, btw.

I'm not sure what I paid for mine, but I think it was $300-400.
                    I have no eyes, fuck-mook!

Comment

I had a Lee Jackson modded Marshall once...horrible sounding thing.

Comment

I actually have an xls-1000 that I got from Our own Tim Krueger. Its a cool gain amp for sure. Sounds great on low volumes too. I would guess though shipping to You may be a little expensive!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                        Custom Shop-There is no substitute!

Comment

I have a Lee Jackson Ampeg VL-1002 with EL34's and matching 4/12 celestion bottom I have been thinking of unloading. Great shape. If your interested let me know.
                          [email protected]
                          "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Sorry didn't read your location. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                            oh well...
                            "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Working...
                            X