Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laney LC15 --> a boost to turn it into high gain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laney LC15 --> a boost to turn it into high gain?

Well at the beginning of today I could either have:
    bought a laney LC15
    sent my defective neck to a tech to have it repaired
    or bought the StewMac refretting kit and a replacement neck to mess with

I decided to fullfil my GAS and take out some money from my live savings (damn I don't even know if I have enough for what I want but well...) and get the amp AND the refretting kit
    I'll be playing the POD through the amp but I also want to have it here in Amsterdam (my 'real' amp is in Edinburgh) to play along music for instance, and also because its natural tone is pretty darn good for such a 'cheap' little amp.

My wish: to turn it into a metal machine without the POD For this I'd need a boost (I already have a high output pickup, the Full shred) and if possible, clean or gain.
    So I'm wondering, what are some decently priced efficient boosts enable to turn a rock machine into a metal monster? I won't cite those I know of to not influence you, so don't fear stating the obvious ones if you wish Thanks!
    Note: this is to allow the pre and power amp tubes to overdrive quicker, not just make my sound louder or boost a certain frequency.

Re: Laney LC15 --> a boost to turn it into high gain?

I have seen this question before, but not on this forum... and guess what, also someone who lives both in scotland and the netherlands [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I really have no knowledge of boosters or pedals what so ever, but I just wanted to say hi from gitaarnet.nl (where I quit posting)

harrald

Comment

Haha you're there too! I signed up not long ago.
      Ah and you like Tolkien too! Rock on!

Comment

I had an LC 15. I changed the speaker to a Celestion. I changed the tubes as well. It still sounded like an LC 15. At bedroom volumes, a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone was fun, but live, it didn't work. The amp isn't loud enough for a blues jam.

If you can find a Laney AOR series combo, you are in instant metal melt down. Vinnie Vincent used an AOR live, hiding behind a wall of Marshall's just after he left KI$$.

Comment

I won't ever gig with it, and I have no intentions to. It'll be solely a practise amp.
          Laney AOR... I've never seen any on the bay, and it'd probably be more expensive? How much do they usually go for? The LC15 is 225 euros here.

Comment

I just bought an AOR head on ebay. $275 (US). The combos go for around that if not a little less, as well, but they're only 30 watts. I got the 50 watt head. I have not had time ot play through it yet, though (long story). I'm hopin it rocks once I get home.

Comment

I found a few AOR combos
              http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Laney-Pro-...1QQcmdZViewItem
              http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AMPLI-VALVOLARE-LA...1QQcmdZViewItem
              Are they THIS good? How would you describe it? Does it have enough gain or like the JCM800 it needs a boost but takes it great?

Comment

It has one sound. But without the boost pulled, it sounds pretty lifeless. It doesn't need a pedal. It has way more gain than a stock JCM 800. If you like bands with Cookie Monster vocals, this amp does it. It ain't pretty, but it's loud and evil. I drowned out my band mates amp- a 100 Marshall head going through a 4x10" cab. Mine was a 50 watt 1x12" combo loaded with a Fane.

Comment

Working...
                X