Adding an EFX Loop to a JMP marshall 50 watt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding an EFX Loop to a JMP marshall 50 watt

How much would it cost and would the mod make it worth that much less than if it was orignal?

Re: Adding an EFX Loop to a JMP marshall 50 watt

If you had a well known amp mod guy do it, it may not affect the value much. However, the better known/more valued their mods are, the more it's going to cost.

Pete

Comment

Sorry but I must disagree, The value of Plexi Marshalls has gone through the roof and even early 70's metal face JMP's are commanding big prices.

Heck, even clean JCM 800's (especially Jubilee's) are going for a small fortune so I would advise keeping it stock. Even a Lee Jackson or John Suhr modded head of this era is worth less simply because its no longer stock. Even worse is the typical FX mod as it usually means extra holes drilled into the chassis.

Keep in mind that there were many 60's and 70's guitars (Strats come to mind) that were modded to accept Kahlers in the belief that they would never be worth much.....

Sell it if you must or buy a newer head with an FX loop and stash the JMP IMHO.

Comment

An effects loop can run from about $150-300 depending on the bells and whistles. When you start adding send and return level controls or a parallel loop it gets more expensive.
        An amp that doesn't do the job you need it to do isn't worth much to a working musician.
        Jerry
        FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

There's a huge difference between pre and post '73 or so amps. That's like comparing a San Dimas first year Jackson vs an Ontario. I'm of course presuming his JMP is built on a PCB.

Again, it depends on who is doing the mod. How much are Jose Arredondo marshalls selling for? Suhr Marshalls should be going through the roof - he doesn't do mods anymore. I would bet that Cameron and Voodoo mods would eventually be worth a good deal too, among others.

Condition also matters - if the amp has goofed up tolex, or chassis damage, or replaced transformers, etc - then it would be a great candidate for mods.

One thing to consider also - if you're a collector or a player. If you're a collector, wrap those amps up in a bag with some dessicant and turn them on for a few hours every six months to keep the filter caps fresh. Buy a reissue or if you have the coin, have someone like Trace at Voodoo build you a 'new' plexi with your mods you want.

Pete

Comment

now i am thinking about adding a loop to my soldano astroverb head. soldano wants 150-200 to do it. it really shouldn't matter on this head right? or would i be screwing it up? BTW, its just my jam head to take to blues jams and crap like that.
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

No, your Astroverb is not a collectors item, is it?

Comment

no, and i would never think it would be...more asking if it would fuck up the sound. i don't think it would, but i don't design and build amps. i just buy them and play them.
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Ahh, I see. No, if it is done right (Ahem...JerryP above...), it will be great. Go for it!

Comment

I agree with pete who cares about the worth if you are looking for a sound-That being said I wouldn't let just anyone mod your amp-Although i don't know how much of a priority an effects loop would be as a mod for me- I use them sparingly

Comment

I think I'll keep them stock I only paid $350 & $400 (for the combo) back in the 70's new . running the EFX in the front end will have to do.

Comment

I have an older jmp and also 2 jcm heads. all have been modded by Cameron. I dont care about collecting shit. If you use the amp all the time and you think it will add to your playing then do it. If you are collecting shit go buy some baseball cards.

Comment

No I've been using them for the last 30+ years but just decided the put it as a backup amp. The new amp has a EFX loop and my old multiverb died so I went with a Lexicon but it's line level only so it needs a EFX loop.

Comment

Working...
                          X