Peavey XXX users - Cab question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey XXX users - Cab question

Anyone running a Mesa cab with their XXX head? Have you ever compared it with the XXX cab? Anyone not running the matching cab? Comments?

Re: Peavey XXX users - Cab question

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyone running a Mesa cab with their XXX head? Have you ever compared it with the XXX cab? Anyone not running the matching cab? Comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

When i owned my XXX i put it through my mesa 4x12 Traditional, it sounded ok but i prefered it into my marshall 1936. Noodles runs his threw mesa cab's.

Comment

When I saw It Dies Today, one guitar player was running his XXX thru a VHT cabinet, with an ESP LTD Eclipse and it was one of the best guitar sounds I've ever heard. No joke!

Comment

I don't have the matching cab, but I ran mine through two Recto 2x12s. One with Vintage 30's, one with Black Shadow 90's. I tried the matching cab at the store, and it isn't even in the same sport as the Mesa cabs, let alone the same league.

Comment

My cousin runs his with a Genz Benz G-Flex and it sounds awesome.

Comment

My friend James Boyd runs his XXX with a traditional Mesa 4x12 and gets killer tones...

http://www.audiostreet.net/jamesalexanderboyd

Check out the 'pop metal' and 'Jbmaxon' clips.

His newest one is insane, though. Check it out!

http://64.124.20.70/connX/02/04/free...ran+apathy.mp3

Comment

early 70's Marshall 1960a with stock celestion 25's and a ADA split stack with celestion 50's, if I want something a little cleaner and more top end.. I use an 4x12 HK with 70's.

Comment

Thanks for the info. guys

Comment

Today we'll be practicing with a new guitarist. He's gonna run his XXX combo through a spare Fender tweed cab we have in the basement. The spiders are gonna have a rude awakening. I'll let you know if we blow it up.

Comment

Alright.. I'd like some XXX help with this question too. Tonight we practiced and the new guy didn't bother with the old Fender cab and I don't blame him. He runs a 212 XXX.

His EQ setting produced a LOUD pronounced mid tone. I think it's also from the open back and trying to crank it to get more lows. His lows were dimed, mids on 6, highs I didn't pay attention. The sound was great for solos but IMO the tone was too much for rhythm playing. We discussed a bit, and recomended he bypass his internal speakers and run through a Marshall 1960A stereo 412 we have sitting around. He wasn't totally against it but also mentioned maybe my mids were too scooped. I run my lows at 1 o'clock and mids at 9 o'clock. Yet I use a 5150 412 and I get a huge bottom end and a metal sound.
                    We're a heavy rock band that tends to lean our tone towards a more metal sound with punchy deep guitar. Is there any way we'll find a happy marriage between the 2 different guitar amps as-is? Is the only way to have a more even sound is to have him use a cab? Recommendations?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      My cousin runs his with a Genz Benz G-Flex and it sounds awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is what I run mine through. I used a 5150 straight cab for a while, but the Benz sounds better IMO.

Keith
                      The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

catz, which channel was he using? the ultra or the crunch? (the voicings are different between the two) Was he using it primarily all the time? or switching off?

Comment

There really is no comparison between the head and the combo, he needs to play through a different cab. I played the combo once in the store, and IMHO, the speakers are voiced completely wrong for the amp. It sounds pretty damn good with Vintage 30s.

Comment

I heard the XXX head and combo were a bit different. His last band, the other guitarist had the head and a 2X12 cab. I always thought that setup sounded better than the combo amp alone.

He's using pedals too so I can't make heads or tails what he's running. He's got a tube screamer and a DS1. IMO too much stuff for a decent amp.

If you guys had a XXX combo, would you run it:
                            A. As a combo amp?
                            B. With a cab?

Comment

For what you're doing, with a cab. Open backs suck for metal. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                              Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Working...
                              X