Peavey XXX users - Cab question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Peavey XXX users - Cab question

Played my XXX through a ton of cabs yesterday.

Mesa cabs blow with it, Marshall 1960's kick ASS!

Comment

Wow, I couldn't disagree more, I think the Marshall 1960 is thin and nasaly sounding, completely wrong for just about any amp.

Comment

well it's not ported, and the throw and distance, even the room can have an effect on the tone. It may be the type of celestions you are referring to as having that effect as well. Marshall cabs aren't known for having tons of bottom end which I think with an active EQ like on the XXX can work to your advantage as that amp has a decent low end. I wouldn't give up my ole 1960 even if it sounded crappy, I've had it since like 1977. Its been thru hell and looks it. It's no Genz Benz or Mesa (which I would probably prefer now) but I can make it work. I actually run a 4x10 quite often as 12's tend to fart on the outside of the cone. If you think a 4x12 sounds thin and nasel, you'd probably have a even lower opinion of a 4x10 but the response is very tight and the eq takes out any unwanted freq. It's all relative to what you like I guess.

If I were running a combo, I'd run it into an external cab unless I was space constricted. The crunch channel to me is more 'classic' voiced, so I feel the mids are more pronounced in that channel than the ultra like a Marshall vs a more modern amp like a recto. My amp has been customized, so I really can't tell ya how it compares to stock, but I imagine the 'core' amp is still basically the same.

Comment

I think the XXX sounds awesome with a 1960. When I was shopping for a cab for my JSX I tried out a 1960 with a XXX it sounded fantastic so I bought it. Good thing it sounds just as good with my JSX.

Comment

Working...
          X