18 watt Marshall built...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 watt Marshall built...

Built a Marshall 18 watt 'lite' model today. It's like an 18 watt but only one channel, without the tremolo. Sorry, I don't like tremolo. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Here are a few pics. the gut shots aren't real awe inspiring, because I'm still tweaking values, and finshed it late enough tonight that I didn't want to play through it much, since my wife is trying to sleep. Later on I'll make it nice and neat and cleaner looking.

I will probably order a custom faceplate for it (have it already designed, as a matter of fact) and I do have a head enclosure and 1x12 cabinet on it's way. No clips until I get it tweaked a bit - right now it's kinda low on volume and gain, especially volume - it seems a little anemic compared to my Matchless 18 watter, and they should be in the same ballpark, even though I used hammond 125E output iron on it. I'm betting with some phase inverter tweaks I should be able to get it a bit stronger.

The two controls are volume and tone. Two inputs are normal and the 2nd one is paralleled, like a Matchless. I may rewire it later to make the two gain stages seperate and cascade, not sure yet. If I did, I'd also have to add another filter cap... I may do that on my next build. This one may just stay 'stock' so I have a good comparison. One thing that did amaze me is that the Hammond output transformer sounded really good, and this amp has (so far) really nice cleans and an amazing touch sensitivity. You can go from clean to some dirt just by how hard you pick - not even having to mess with the volume knob. If I can keep that and get just a bit more volume and gain I'll be happy.

Pete

Re: 18 watt Marshall built...

Pete,

Looks nice. Let us know how the tweaks go. That looks like a Fender-style power transformer. Do you have any advice on punching holes for those and for the power cord plug? I used a Champ PT for my P1X. It and that stupid plug took me longer than all the rest of the drilling and punching on the chassis. I notice that Mouser sells punches for the plug, but they want several hundred dollars for them!

Ross

Comment

Thanks - it's going to look a lot nicer once I get it tweaked and everything cleaned up inside - right now, about all I can say is that most of the wires that cross are at right angles and the amp is very quiet. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I measure the item I'm going to have to cut a hole for, and then draw that hole to scale in adobe illustrator. Print that out, cut the hole, and see if the paper fits with the item. If it does, then I tape that to my chassis and get the dremel out. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] On aluminum chassis like the one above, it took me about an hour to measure, draw and print/cut out (a few times, I like to get it really close), and then dremel the chassis with a cutting wheel. Then after you do that, take a bastard file and smooth the edges a bit or use a 60 grit sanding tool and the dremel. One caution - WEAR EYE PROTECTION. the dremel cutting wheels can break if you're not careful, and having one of those fly into your eye would be a real bad thing.

I prefer transformers that 'stand up' versus the laydown style, and just used this one because it matched the specs pretty good and I had it in my parts box along with the Hammond. I wasn't real happy when I bought my Matchless transformers and saw that BOTH of those were laydown (Z) mount. ARGH!

BTW, Hammond sells steel chassis... don't get one of those unless you really want to spend a lot of time drilling. I have a drill press and one of those took forever. If that amp had laydown transformers, I'd probably still be hacking at the steel chassis...

Pete

Comment

Pete,

Do a search on greenlee punches. They are handheld punched that you can punch a hole using a couple fo wrenches.. it would save you a tremendous amount of time ..
        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Thanks for the tip Kevin! I use a stepped bit for the tube sockets and larger holes like the power indicator - those take less than a minute each. Since when I have a choice I'm going to do standup transformers, the rest isn't that big a deal - I can do the power jacks in around 15 minutes tops, probably less if I do a few more and get better at it.

Pete

Comment

pete , that looks purdy...

nice.. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Sweet...Did you get the Wiring Diagram from www.silvatone.bravepages.com ? Look nice. I built a Hi Octane. Still tweaking it.

Comment

Thanks guys. More info on what I built is at 18watt.com. That showed the board, but I made a few changes. It's going to be a lot nicer looking once I get it in a headshell, faceplate and the wiring neatend up. I just wanted to get some pics up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Those Greenlee punches better be nice. They're the ones that Mouser carries for several hundred a piece. I need to pick up a dremel. I did my project by hand for the non-round cuts. I have a miniture hack saw I used, and a bunch of files (definitely aluminum chassis here). I have a set of pretty nice, relatively inexpensive, punches I got from Triode Electronics several years back. They handle everything that I can't do with a drill.

Pete, I've been doing some research and I think the 290-0-290 transformer will work for me. I'm getting confused by trying to get from spec sheets to actual applications. The EL-84 has a max. plate voltage of 300 V according to my spec sheets, but apparently lots of people run them up at 340-350 V and more. I have a Soldano schematic for the EL-84 amp (Atomic?) and according to it,he's got 400+ Vdc coming off the rectifier and over 350 on the plates. I'm going to try it and see what happens. If I fry a bunch of EL-84s I'll let you know. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Ross

Comment

Very nice looking work. I was thinking about swapping out my 125E for an Axiom on my little amp. Would you think there would be a big change in the dynamics going to an Axiom SE-5K?

As you can tell, I may have a jones for a new toy...

Comment

Ross - I need to do some measurements again, but I'm running either a 290-0-290 or a 300-0-300 transformer and it seems to be ok. My plate voltages are around 350 or so... no red plates or problems yet!

El_Kabong - I'm not sure. The 125E surprised me... it's REALLY LOUD in this amp. Check out the clips in the MP3 section!

Pete

Comment

Hey Pete that looks pretty cool! I am sure it will look even better after you tie some of the wires down and such. The 18watter seems very popular for small gigs. Maybe the answer for those seeking cranked tube tone without killing the front row...
                        One question for you-
                        Do you find the single tone knob to be somewhat limiting?
                        Rawk on,
                        Rob

Comment

Looks better than a crate!!! Go Pete!

Comment

Rob, Deneb - thanks. The single tone doesn't bother me because I wanted to build something fairly close to the 'real deal' so I had a good baseline. Next one I build will probably have a full marshall tonestack, another gain stage and presence/depth controls.

Pete

Comment

I always like your tinkerings. You're pretty smart about tone, and it's funny. You could hold your own with any tube snob, in talking to them about technology (fuck, you're probably smarter than a lot of them also), and then you can school them on modeling, and then you can play the guitar pretty fucking good.

I really like your whammy bar technique, then again, I never use mine! My modelling sucks, because I can't figure out good tones, and the only thing I know is, "My Mesa is awesome". Then again, I was playing it, and I honest to goodness was thinking "I wonder what pete and jg would think about this tone...probably not much!".

Comment

Working...
                              X