Peavey JSX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey JSX

I am torn between getting a used Mesa Dual Rec or a New JSX and also waiting to buy either, depending on if I like the new carvin V3 when it comes out. Anyway, how well does the JSX do the high gain thing? Will it doo slayer? Will it do Master Of Puppets? Death Metal? I am just curious as to how much gain I can pull out of it without using a pedal? Are they worht $1000? I like heavy palm muting with scooped mids thing going on. Thanks-Jack.

Re: Peavey JSX

The ultra channel has plenty of gain...more than you could ever need. I have mine set up for the MOP sound right now. It scoops pretty good. I'd watch ebay if I were you, they go for $700-$850 all day long. I paid $750 for mine and it was like brand new.

Comment

I'd go Peavey

Rectos are well....I don't like 'em. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

but to each their own..
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I am leaning towards the JSX, but am waiting to hear the Carvin V3 when it comes out though. You know what, I have been waiting for MF to run that $799 deal for a JSX again, and then I will jump, it sure is taking them a long time [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/baby.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

I think I just saw someone over at Harmony Central selling a JSX for like $750 shipped.
          Jerry
          FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Someones got one here for sale
            FS-JSX
            If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

i havent heard the JSX yet, but out of the dual recto and the XXX the recto just blew it away. From what i understand the JSX is a XXX tweaked with a little less gain. I had both, at first i loved the XXX, but then i noticed that it sounded very sterile after awhile, the recto has more of a natural organic gain.

We all know horns cant stand the recto's, but personaly i just dont think he tweaked it enough. Hey horns when you did the recto, did you use V30's or your marshall cabs?

The recto's are allready a mid scooped amp, put them with the 75's which are mid scooped and it does sound like ass in my opinion unless you blast the mid. The reason mesa sells them REcto cabs with V30's is because the make up for the scooped on the recto's.

By the way, for a great sound put a recto with Greenbacks, great hardrock/rock sound!

Comment

"Hey horns when you did the recto, did you use V30's or your marshall cabs? "

You hit the nail right on the head man...I used just Marshall 1960B ...You HAVE to use the recto can w/ the recto

just as much as you HAVE to use the 5150 shefield cab w / the 5150..

The recto sounded MUCH better with it's matching cab....MUCH...but the gain/dist...just always sounded TOO "fuzzy" for my liking and I tweaked that bastage in my room for an eternity..and a day...and know matter how I dialed it...that.."fuzz" was always there..

so I traded it for a Soldano...hell that was about 'round 92 or so...but I've played thru my Buddy's since...and yes...that "fuzz" was still there with his...

I liked the bottom heavyness of it...I fell in love with it at the store when I bought it...they just came out at the time..

I took it home and bummed on it ever since never to look back again..

Now my UBER sounds like what a Recto SHOULD sound like to me , to my ears...it's everything you like about a recto but just so much better , smooother , tighter , hevaier.....but then again...it cost twice as much..

and NO I don't use that with a Ubercab...Nope...like usual...a 1960B Marshall...

I heard it sounds better with a Uber cab...but I'm happy the way it is..if I could hear a uber cab and hear the difference right in my face..I'm positive I'd buy one...but they are nowhere to been seen here in these parts..

My Uber prolly wouild sound better with a Recto cab...but I would prolly go with the 90's..I'm not a fan of Vin 30's ...but that's a whole other chapter..

Now for bang for buck...I'd say you can't go wrong with a 5150 head with matching bottom with a 422 in the loop...if I had to grab a reasonably prives amp in a pinch...I'd prolly go with that...cuz I had that (many times) ...and I go with what I know..and I know I can definitely get the job done with that deal.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

BUT YES ..Siggy is right to get the best out of the Recto you need the recto bottom!!!!

it sounds like ass thru my Marsahlls cabs...all of them, and John's too.
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  "Hey horns when you did the recto, did you use V30's or your marshall cabs? "

You hit the nail right on the head man...I used just Marshall 1960B ...You HAVE to use the recto can w/ the recto

just as much as you HAVE to use the 5150 shefield cab w / the 5150..

The recto sounded MUCH better with it's matching cab....MUCH...but the gain/dist...just always sounded TOO "fuzzy" for my liking and I tweaked that bastage in my room for an eternity..and a day...and know matter how I dialed it...that.."fuzz" was always there..

so I traded it for a Soldano...hell that was about 'round 92 or so...but I've played thru my Buddy's since...and yes...that "fuzz" was still there with his...

I liked the bottom heavyness of it...I fell in love with it at the store when I bought it...they just came out at the time..

I took it home and bummed on it ever since never to look back again..

Now my UBER sounds like what a Recto SHOULD sound like to me , to my ears...it's everything you like about a recto but just so much better , smooother , tighter , hevaier.....but then again...it cost twice as much..

and NO I don't use that with a Ubercab...Nope...like usual...a 1960B Marshall...

I heard it sounds better with a Uber cab...but I'm happy the way it is..if I could hear a uber cab and hear the difference right in my face..I'm positive I'd buy one...but they are nowhere to been seen here in these parts..

My Uber prolly wouild sound better with a Recto cab...but I would prolly go with the 90's..I'm not a fan of Vin 30's ...but that's a whole other chapter..

Now for bang for buck...I'd say you can't go wrong with a 5150 head with matching bottom with a 422 in the loop...if I had to grab a reasonably prives amp in a pinch...I'd prolly go with that...cuz I had that (many times) ...and I go with what I know..and I know I can definitely get the job done with that deal.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

BUT YES ..Siggy is right to get the best out of the Recto you need the recto bottom!!!!

it sounds like ass thru my Marsahlls cabs...all of them, and John's too.

[/ QUOTE ]

To add to Horns, get the traditional cab, much tighter bass and more upper mid's. As to what horns has tried, did you try the newer 3 channel? The one you played horns was an original which had a different distortion then the newer ones. As to the Uber, yeah it is tighter, but once you put anything but EL34's in it then it is gonna loosen up like a recto, that is just how 6l6's are.

Comment

Working...
                  X