Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Splawn amps........

[ QUOTE ]
    Sig wasnt that thing white? It is black now?

john

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it was, i also have a regular 1987 in black, but i want to change the cabinets because i prefer white. Both cabinets are in close to mint shape.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]
      Todd - I re-read your first post, I thought you said you were thinking of selling, not that you'd be selling soon...

I'm not in a possition to do anything until at least next month. $850 is a great price, if you've got the $850. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt,

I am in no dier need of money right now, and i have other stuff to sell first, so i will let you know before i put it up on the chopping block for sale.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very cool of you, Thanks!
      ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]
        I'd like to check out the 1987x. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where in NY are you? I will be there end of the month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Syracuse area [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]
          I'd like to check out the 1987x. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where in NY are you? I will be there end of the month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Syracuse area [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh ok you are way up there, ia m going to the east end of long island, i will get you pictures later tonight.

Comment

I played a Splawn at a CNY Tonefest a couple years ago and hated it. All thin and buzzy...maybe it was a freak amp or something, but...man, it sucked!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I played a Splawn at a CNY Tonefest a couple years ago and hated it. All thin and buzzy...maybe it was a freak amp or something, but...man, it sucked!

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it wasnt biased right.

Comment

Yeah, maybe. Maybe a lot of things. But I played it for quite a while. We even moved the whole halfstack to a back room where we could really turn it up and let her breath...Nope. No thanks.

The Voodoo amps that were there were awesome, however. The Hex in particular was fantastic.

Just my 2 cents...

Comment

Wow, thats two bad reviews for that amp on this thread alone. The clips sound good and also I see Rich Ward is playing them now and he usually has the basic sound I like,at least when he was in 'Mojo anyway. I was looking at the the Boogie Stiletto but, I don't know.........

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I saw Stephen Pearcy last month and one of his guitar players used a Splawn. It sounded good but I wasn't blown away. The best hot-rodded Marshall sound I've heard in a long time is the Mesa Stiletto.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw him too, he was using a normal splawn, you could also tell he had the treble turned way down, not exactly what you expect to hear when you are listening to Ratt songs, not that Crisp distortion you are use to hearing. He also didnt use that much distortion in his tone, but i agree could have sounded better.

I also own the stiletto, both amps sound killer, i am keeping the stiletto only because i need the two channels, however the splawn is defintly more of a marshall tone where the mesa still sounds like a mesa just with more midrange and less distortion.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I also own the stiletto, both amps sound killer, i am keeping the stiletto only because i need the two channels, however the splawn is defintly more of a marshall tone where the mesa still sounds like a mesa just with more midrange and less distortion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder how much variance there is between Stilettos. Mine sounds very Marshally (I can nail the exact tone of my old JCM800) but is much more versatile and has a better clean tone than any Marshall I have ever played. I don't find that it sounds remotely like any previous Mesa amps that I have played or owned. It is my current favorite but that's always subject to change. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder how much variance there is between Stilettos. Mine sounds very Marshally (I can nail the exact tone of my old JCM800) but is much more versatile and has a better clean tone than any Marshall I have ever played. I don't find that it sounds remotely like any previous Mesa amps that I have played or owned. It is my current favorite but that's always subject to change. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is is very marshall sounding, but not quite, it definitly has the bottom end that mesa's are known for. Out of my marshalls the stiletto is my favorite to play right now. Of course my 6100 needs a good retubing so we will see after that happens. I definitly like my stiletto over the splawn, but i only paid around $850 for the splawn where i paid $1250 for stiletto.

I also think i am just more of a Mesa person then Marshall, by the way with my Mesa Roadking with the orange channel set to EL34's i can pretty much nail the stiletto tone as well, just a tad, and i mean very slight tad more upper midrange on the stiletto.

Comment

Oh and the splawn sounds more marshall, just the lack of a clean channel that turns me off. the splawn also has more gain on the lead channel then the stiletto but i dont play with as much gain anymore, even on my roadking i usually have the gain set about 12 to 1 oclock (half way)

Comment

I wish I would have tried the Road King before I bought the Stiletto. I wasn't looking for a new amp but I was blown away on my "test drive" and had to have the Stiletto. All those knobs and switches on the RK scared me [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I wish I would have tried the Road King before I bought the Stiletto. I wasn't looking for a new amp but I was blown away on my "test drive" and had to have the Stiletto. All those knobs and switches on the RK scared me [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a great amp and even with all the knobs and switches it is actually a very easy amp to use. If you master once channel you master all four, in other words all four channels have the same exact switches and knobs laid out very easy for each channel.

For anyone interested in seeing the splawn i am gonna post pictures the classifieds very shortly.

Comment

I'm starting to think a used Uber would be a better choice. The VooDoo's are sweet but those aren't shipping until AFTER Winter Namm.

Comment

Working...
                                X