Got my AOR head, but... wtf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Got my AOR head, but... wtf?

well I certainly would have paid 25 bucks more for this one http://cgi.ebay.com/LANEY-AMP-50-WATT-AM...1QQcmdZViewItem

It sucks about the carpet and the swapped xformer though. The pics in the original auction don't tell the whole story other that its obviously carpet and not tolex.
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

I don't care how much you know about gear, if you even know the word Tolex, it's obvious it isn't a synonym for carpet. He said directly, it's not carpet, it's Tolex. With a statement that direct, I figured it was just grey tolex. You also can't see the gaps in the front panel from those pics, unless you know what you're already looking for. The fact of the matter is, I did not receive what would be expected from the auction listing. Also, I don't even know what a transformer is, much less can tell that it's a non-original one. This is my 2nd "real" amp, I'm not an expert by any means.

Comment

Woah! I didn't notice that in the pick until I looked harder. I stand corrected. Mine is nowhere near as bad.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I don't care how much you know about gear, if you even know the word Tolex, it's obvious it isn't a synonym for carpet. He said directly, it's not carpet, it's Tolex. With a statement that direct, I figured it was just grey tolex. You also can't see the gaps in the front panel from those pics, unless you know what you're already looking for. The fact of the matter is, I did not receive what would be expected from the auction listing. Also, I don't even know what a transformer is, much less can tell that it's a non-original one. This is my 2nd "real" amp, I'm not an expert by any means.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, to be fair, regardless of what the seller says, you can plainly see in the auction pics that the covering is carpet. You made a mistake, you should have made yourself more familiar with the Laneys before jumping in with both feet. Ebay is full of dishonest truth-bending assholes, so you have to protect yourself by being as knowledgeable as you can.

That said, I can build you a cab for it if you want, out of solid wood even. You even get to choose what color tolex you want. Let me know if you're interested.
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

don't mean to be funny, but isn't the head covered with the same carpet as his floor?? [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]
            Don't see that there's anything to be lost from trying to get money back from it, he hasn't mentioned any modding (ie the tranformer and the case), he's advertised a Laney AOR Pro Tube head. If it doesn't sound right that's probably something to do with a botched mod- just go for it, you might get something back.

Comment

That's what I was trying to point out in my original post. You kinda screwed yourself, but that's OK! I've done it! Lots of us have!
              You could have a cool hardwood cab made for it...how about a walnut top and sides with a birdseye Ash front panel, and the Laney logo in the right place? Clean up the chassis real well, put a full set of chickenhead knobs on it...classy!
              You'll want some sort of a footswitch for it, but it may well sound great.

You didn't score a great deal, but you didn't kill yourself, either!

Comment

It looks like a Randall RG100ES cabinet. In any case, it isn't what was advertised. It looks absolutely horrible and I would expect it to sound the same. The transformer doesn't look original to me either. I would concentrate on getting your money back if I were you.

Comment

The guy is cool with me sending it back, it seems he honestly didn't know about what he was selling. Anyway, I'm on the lookout for a new amp again. Thanks for confirming my intitial suspicions.

Comment

Damn, I really want to build something! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Ha ha, if it was just the cabinet, I'd have tried to get some money from him and take you up on it, but who knows what else mechanically is up with it, besides the transformer. I'd take it apart to examine, but I'm not doing anything to it at this point since I'm sending it back.

Comment

That's an abortion... and I'm being kind. I haven't seen carpet on a head cab in quite some time. The head box does not look original to me either. Someone gots some splainin to do.
                        [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

***** It looks absolutely horrible and I would expect it to sound the same.*****

Huh? Really? Why? You hear with your eyes?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            ***** It looks absolutely horrible and I would expect it to sound the same.*****

Huh? Really? Why? You hear with your eyes?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the transformer is not right and the box is not right nor the carpet instead of tolex, god knows whats in that thing.

Sweet deal with the moneyback stuff, now go buy and UNMODIFIED one.

Im sitting with my AOR 100w with my guitar on my lap, jamming away with some twangy Paul Gilbert style blues licks one minute, then roaring away to Warren Dimartini-ville just by hitting the bridge pickup!

Its, by far, the WARMEST amp ive ever played. I couldn't be happier. I like it just as much as the JSX.

Comment

*****If the transformer is not right and the box is not right nor the carpet instead of tolex, god knows whats in that thing.*****

Exactly. People pay big money to have hack amp modders to do this same type of stuff to amps, but in this case it is being frowned upon. It is quite a leap to assume that the amp sounds bad, not that it doesn't sound bad, I am just amused that someone would assume the amp sounds bad based on looks.

Comment

Wow, I tried selling a very clean AOR hundred watter here for 225 + ship within the last couple years, no one was interested. I sold it on eBay for a BIN of like 275.00 w/ free shipping if they used the BIN.

It appears to be not the original case, but, outside of the badge placement... it does have the Laney corners transfered onto it. It also looks to have been dropped. The wood has sustained an impact and cracked on the right side (from the back) inside the case plus the power tranny looks to have a list to it.

I still own a 50 and a hundred watter but they get played very little. In fact one was a purchase for 150.00 + shipping but it cost me a ton in grief as the output was shorted. That is a novel in itself...but it cost me alot more than money..and its where I found eBay to be a crock.

Comment

Working...
                                X