Marshall JCM 800 differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JCM 800 differences

My knowledge of the Marshall JCM 800 is rather limited, I dont know anything about them besides the fact that they have several models and that they are very very loud, rough, mean, and completely amazing.

Could you all help me get my facts straight and provide me with some insight on the different JCM 800's so I can get a better idea of what I want?

I want to know the differences between:

THANKS alot, because I really need some help figuring all this out!

Re: Marshall JCM 800 differences

Basic differences.

2203 - Single Channel, 100 watts
    2204 - Single Channel, 50 watts
    2205 - Two Channels, 50 watts
    2210 - Two Channels, 100 watts

Comment

Well dude having a bakers dozen or so of JCM 800s...Red ones , Fawn ones , white ones black ones & even green ones..

I tell you what I have discovered and learned..

for one besides the JMP they are the best Marshall ever made in my book..

My pesonal fave of ALL Marshall...is THE 2210...It is a 100wt.lead series w / channel switching and built in reverb....Pete has mention that there is some "beed thru" between the two channels and he absolutely correct...why do I prefer the 2210 over the earlier more coveted straight forward single channels is simple...they put a diode in there , must be a very similiar diode that they have put in the rack mount JMP-1...No , it is not as "pure" as the older single channel version BUT there is a lot more CRUNCH..well because of that diode..but I like it because it gives me that "authentic" Criss Oliva " Edge of thorns "tone which was one of my very favorite tones out there...that and Glen Drover on steroids...he'd be right at home with my crap..

with the earlier single channel ones you are REQUIRED to boost the front with a stomp be it a dist/overdrive...the 2210 realy doesn't need that ...that diode did that job very well ans smooth...but that amp ..outta the box is he most usuable , smoothest , and ambient Marshall I had ever heard with NO effects whatsoever....very warm , very beefy...especially with a four 12 cab loaded w/ celest 80's...it was Oliva on steroids...I just ran a DD3 in the loop and that was that...a little noisey...but very cool..if you like the tonality of Van Halen/ Oliva...which is what I always aimed for..that is the closet "stock" marshall I ever heard that does that in a pinch..withpout the use for extra help from a row of effects..

The earlier JCMs either the 50 / 100 wts are loud as shit...but a little bit more noise and somewhat more unconrolable w / feed back as squeals ala RR...because of the need for the extra boost in the front , making it a bit uncontrollable compared to the latter versions..that didn't require a noisy stomp..and feed bacl galore withoput any noise supressor..

I liked it because it gave me the authentic "Edge of thorns" tone which was one of my favorite tones at that time..still is..

I will always will be partial to the 100 watters...just for sheer heedroom..I rely on preamp distortion because it remains consistant..rather than poweramp distortion like most folks...especially with older Marshall..that was an essential combination with those amps at that time ...to make it compress and make it "sing"..

But with all these very high saturated amps nowadays..relying on poweramp distortion isn't as important..in fact I think it fucks it up IMO...like the EL34's in my Uber...no need for those tubes in that amp...that preamp does the job on its own...and the only thing that f's it up is pushing the poweramp past it's threhold just until the poweramps tubes changes and colors everything I just dialed in , never to get it back unless i turn it down ..but they relied on those power tubes for older amps that relied on them for distortion...but why now??!! [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Now the 2205 sounds like the 2210 in tonality BUT side by side at the same volume levels with the same cabs ...the 2210 just retained it's definition and has much more girth and headroom...that's what I dig.. I the don't mechanics pf these amps as Pete or John....but I know TONE and have a knack of taking the tone from head and making it come out of the cab...exactly the way I hear it in my head..

I can't fix cars either...nor do I want to...but I drive the shit out of my baby...that's what I have mechanic freinds for...and when they need to get bailed outta jail or in some kind of jam ...I could do that...it's a nice deal..what are friends for..you don't what you can for each other..

My favorite Mashall speaker is the Celestion 80 leads...then the stock celestion 75 in anay 1960a/b cab...they are scooped and have more bottom and edge..and less mids...Marshall are all about mids to me in the first place..

THE LOUDEST JCM 800 was a Red single channel early 80's 50 wt (2204) ...as far as pure "volume" is concerned it destroyed everthing I've ever owned...and that volume knob/pot was touchy ...it was either hardly on or blasting the crap outta you...my wife didn't like that too much when she was trying to sleep..around theee in the morn...it scared the crap outta me...GREAT TONE but they lacked bottom end and gain...with no stomps..

My favorite Marsahll st up of all time ans still is since I bought it new..is My Marshall rack 9200 w/ 5881's / JMP-1/ JFX-1...into four Marshall 1960b cabs..in staereo...with a 422 in the loop..I LOVE it..if has so much defintion , very smooth and it's just "alive" sounding the lead tones are AWESOME!

My favorite lead tone of all time...

Now My Uber has got the chugging , palm muted crunch covered...it has a cool lead tone but not like the JMP-1 ...

BTW that Mushook dude from Sraind plays a very similair set as I do ...the Marsahll rack w / JMP-1 and a/b's that with a Deizel..for the mega crunch...I just saw that in the newest GW..interesting!
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

2210 sounds awesome. I owned one, and loved it. The bleed through did piss me off greatly though.

Comment

Also 2210's and 2205 will have more more gain, due to a solid state circuitry board built into them. However, this also makes the amp even more midrangey, which may be good or bad for you.
          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

well like I said...that diode ...I loved it...it gave me that Criss Oliva tone to a t...well that is what he used ...so that makes sense...Crhis Caffery has that amp now...and still uses it.

it's all what your taste is...if you like a more cleaner tone then the earlier ones wuold best fit your needs IMO...I need all the crunch I could get...and I was a criss Oliva disciple...as was John ...and Van Halen too...but .."crunchier"...the 2205 seemed to be midrangier than the 2210..thinner too not as ballsy at the same volume level with the same cab..

I had a couple 2210s with four 12 w/ those celestion 80s...not midrangy at all , very dark , and heavy for a stock Marshall head..the most bottom end I ever heard from a marshal...but those speakers were a big part of that!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Sorry Bill, I had not seen this in your post.

I wouldn't pass up on a good 2210 myself, I'd either get a 2003 or a 2210, if given the choice between buying either of the two. I personally like a bit of clarity in my distortion, so it's either full blown gain to make it a bit smoother again, or it's a bit less gain like the earlier models.
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

well I had plenty of both amps...and I always gravitaed to the 2210s...my taste in tone i guess ...right outta the box , just plug in and shred with no stomps....

I like the fact that I don't have to rely on external stuff if not required...sometimes less is more.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

don't get me wrong these are all great amps...the lot of them...then it went all down hill from the 900s on..

especially those damn poor excuse for a Marshall now named..JCM 2000...Yuck..what the fuck! [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Owned a few of each... I liked the 800 2203/2204 the best.

Comment

Horns's long post pretty much ending this thread

Comment

dont forget the little known JCM800 1959 model. It is a non master vol, 4 holer. You wanna talk loud? OMFG! It is loud. Saw John Sykes using these with Thin Lizzy last year. Very clean, clear and brite. Sounds fantastic with my Jap DS-1.

http://www.users.qwest.net/~wj15/current/tmp/bd_1_b.JPG

Comment

"Horns's long post pretty much ending this thread"

shit don't stop on my account ..I was in a VERY good mood last night...that explains the long post...

but I'm a HUGE fan of Marshall ...well until recently....

but please carry on

Old Marshalls RULE....

let their praise and worship carry on... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks for the info Horns and everybody else.

So, ALL 2203's are 100w and ALL the 2204's are 50w? So the only difference is the wattage? or do they sound different? (besides headroom)

Comment

Even in the single channel versions 2203 and 2204s the earlier 800s ..I alwys prefered the 100 wt ones over the 50wt ones...just as I said before about the 2205 and 2210 when side by side..into identical cabs..

the 100 watt versions have the same "tone" but they seemed a bit darker with a tighter bottom at the same volume levels...more headroom...and overall ballsier..it wasn't just my opinion ...more of an observation...so O prefer the 100wt vesrsions better.. for the most part

except for this 1982 Red 50 wt freak of nature 2203...it was by far the loudest Mashall I ever came across...not the best sounding one...just the LOUDEST one...for whatever reason...the volume pot went from whisper to teeth shattering in a slight feeble touch of the finger...scared the hell outta me...and pissed off the wife too..but it ws REAL urdy in Red and it was MINT...all my old marshall were Mint...wish I still had some to f with..

Ohhh I never owned one but I play one of the silver Jubillee heads....smaller sized ...100wts I believe...that sounded pretty killer too..I guess Slash was partial to those heads so his sig is supposed to be similiar in tone..

Comment

Working...
                            X