Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Amp head

Alright Lads,

What are some good cheap amp heads? By cheap I mean like under $400. Or am I being unrealistic? Bear in mind Im in the UK, and everythings nearly twice as expensive over here guitar wise.

Should I just spend that money on a 4x12 cab for my Peavey Revolution? 80w just isnt cutting it when Im playing. Its fine for practices but live, my solos cannot be heard. And that, my friends, is a travesty.

I know Ill need a cab if I buy a head but I could just borrow one... Or I could just borrow a cab for my combo I have the now... I dunno.
    Advice please!

James

Re: Cheap Amp head

Peavey XXL

Comment

i bought a Laney GH100L for a little more than $400 bucks, practically new at the store. look around. my 5150 was $499.99.

Comment

Are Ashdown amps reasonably cheap in the UK, since that's where the company is based? I don't have any personal experience with them, but I've read that they come pretty close to the Peavey 5150 sound.

Honestly, I think either an extension cab or some sort of EQ boost is what you need. I sold my old Peavey practice amp (solid state 1x12 combo from the early `80s) to the guitarist from Anal Blast, and he runs it through a Vader 4x12 cab as his live rig. A friend of mine used a similar live setup, also with a Peavey combo but into a Marshall 4x12 instead. As for me, I use a Peavey Classic 50-212 combo into a 2x12 Peavey cab, and turning it past 4 is too loud on a big stage. I don't think wattage is your issue, just the speaker coverage. It's also possible that you just need a good EQ so you can tweak your midrange more than the Revolution will allow.
        sigpic

Comment

used 5150..with matching cab..and BBE 422 in the loop...KILLER!

I sick of saying that!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Cheers guys.
            The reason why I thought wattage was a problem was because I associated wattage with loudness, and Ive been gigging alongside a 100W amp, and thats run flat out to compete with the drums and big bass amp so I need my 80w amp more than flat out lol [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            Id like a head as well cos it looks more pro doesnt it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Coming onstage with my Jackson and my half stack, where other bands have shitty Schecters and 80w marshall tranny combos. I know theres nothing wrong with tranny combo's I love mine, but how much better would I look! This is the reason Im building a drum rack, to look good lol.

Could you explain more what you mean about tweaking the mids? I dont really like too many mids in my guitar tone...

James

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Could you explain more what you mean about tweaking the mids? I dont really like too many mids in my guitar tone...

[/ QUOTE ]
              That's your problem. Playing live, you really need more mids to cut through. And if you want a really good solid state head, look for a Fender RocPro 1000. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Are Ashdown amps reasonably cheap in the UK, since that's where the company is based? I don't have any personal experience with them, but I've read that they come pretty close to the Peavey 5150 sound.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a fallen angel 60 head in my rehearsal with the basic ashdown cab , and a store where my friends work has the 180 with the vintage 30 cabinet

Let me tell you one thing - they don't even come close to the 5150 - they are overbassed , very dark ( i mean extremely dark) and they have in no way so much gain as 5150

Comment

No its not that Im running a scooped sound, Its just I dont want to sacrifice tone for volume. It wasnt the tone that was the problem it was the 20w less I had.

James

Comment

What amps are available in your location??

Comment

I havnt really looked yet, but its mainly big name stuff but they're always within 2% of their RRP or something daft like that.

James

Comment

go with a line 6 flextone 2 head if you are gonna do the solid state way, more options then you can ever imagine and sounds great for what it is.

Comment

Do you reckon? I was always put off Line 6 cos they're not a proper amp lol [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          And you need a footboard the size of a car door too, dont you?
                          I use two kinds of tone on my amp, high gain, and off [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

James

Comment

an extra 20 watts wont do shit. that trebly solid state shit just aint gonna cut through, even if it was 400 watts!

Comment

Mr. White, I'd bet 50 watts of tube head would solve your problems. Even a lower-wattage tube head is going to sound louder than a solid-state amp. Try finding yourself a used Laney AOR, and I'll bet that works a lot better for you. Bet you can easily find one in prime condition for $300 or so.

FYI, I like the AOR best with Winged C output tubes.

Comment

Working...
                              X