Cheap Amp head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cheap Amp head

Get Pete to build you one of his 4-watt tube power amps like the one I got from him. Walk on stage carrying a 2x12 and a shoebox, then watch your other guitarist try to get loud enough [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Or get a Fender RocPro1000 head and Carvin VE212 cabinet. I beat out 4x12 cabs with that setup, even when running the same head.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I understand that you don't want a lot of mids, but consider a parametric EQ which lets you focus the actual midrange higher or lower. I personally set my amp EQ flat (12 o'clock) in all positions, and then use a parametric EQ with a boost in the upper midrange so that my solos are audible without sounding harsh from too much treble.
      sigpic

Comment

Inazone - Thats a spot on idea actually. So an EQ pedal would let me do this? Or would I need a rack mounted thing?

Would a valve amp really improve things? Speaking from lack of experience - how? How would a 50w valve amp be louder than an 80w solidstate?

Checked out ebay for some Laney AORs but there were none, although the Laney GH100L that would be within my price range... Im not after buying now, Im putting out feelers to know what to look for.

How much would I get for my as new condition Peavey Revolution 112 80w combo?

James

Comment

Specifically, a parametric EQ would offer you the most control over your midrange. They are available in pedal and rack form, although I'm not sure which manufacturers offer each style. If your Peavey has an effects loop and a pedal to turn the loop on and off, a rack EQ would work too for boosting leads. Since I play almost all the leads in my band, I just keep my EQ on all the time.

Something that I didn't see you mention yet is whether you are playing live with only your amps for sound, or if you are miking the amps through a PA system. If you are using a PA, you could play with a 30-watt practice amp and rely on the venue's system for volume. A lower-wattage tube amp will sound better when its cranked up than a more powerful solid state amp, because that's simply the nature of tubes. However, I have gigged with solid state amps and was not disappointed at all.

Until you invest in new equipment, why not try an amp stand? It seems to me that part of the issue is whether or not YOU can hear your amp. A 1x12 combo can easily be tilted back on a stand so that you can hear it better, and at the same time can be miked for PA use.
          sigpic

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            That's your problem. Playing live, you really need more mids to cut through. And if you want a really good solid state head, look for a Fender RocPro 1000.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

roc pro = good cheap tone. then you can spend the xtra $$ on a good cab.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Mr. White, to answer your question about why a lower-powered tube amp would sound louder than a higher-wattage SS amp: The way some fairly bright people have explained it to me is that tube amps produce both odd and even-order harmonics, while the SS amp only produces odd order. To some Internet surfing about psychoacoustics and you'll probably get more in-depth info than I can throw out.

Comment

The Crate powerblock head goes for less than $200 and is rated at 150 Watts @ 8 ohms. It has gotten some good reviews. It can also be run at 75 watts per channel in stereo mode.
                Screamin'

Comment

Atilla - Thanks, I think I understand [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  Screamin' - Thanks mate Ill have a look out for those bad boys.
                  Ive got a Crate bass amp and Im pretty happy with that.

James

Comment

I'm from the UK too, check out the Marshall AVT50H on www.gak.co.uk i think it is 195 pounds

Comment

Alright Rob,
                      Ive never been a fan of Marshalls. Its probably 99% me wanting to be different, but on the few valvestate marshalls Ive tried I couldnt get a decent tone. I think I just dont like the gold panel [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      With guitar gear, I generally prefer to buy secondhand, cos you get more gear for your money.
                      Cheers though

James

Comment

The other thing about tube amps is that they are designed to exceed their wattage rating, that's actually how you get that tube tone. Push a solid state amp past its rating and it breaks down. This is also why tube failure is fairly common on tube amps used regularly at gigs.

Doesn't that Revolution put out 100w if you use an extension cab? I know several Peavey SS combos are formatted that way. I'd say get a cab first, that'll help you keep up with the other guy more. Then if you're still not thrilled with your tone, move on to getting a different head. I think a decent 412 or even 212 cab would make a big difference, and if you buy another head right now you'll still have to get a cab anyway. Selling that amp there in the UK? I don't know what you paid but maybe you'd get 100-150 lbs for it? I don't know the UK market but that'd be about double what you'd get in the US so I used that as a ballpark. The pound's about twice the value of the dollar right now, isn't it?
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Lerxstcat is right about Peavey amps exceeding the stated power with a cab. I have a TransTube Special 212, and it is rated at 130W alone or 220W with a 2x12 cab...if I remember right. Adding a 1x12 cab would be a cheap upgrade, and it would still be very portable.
                          sigpic

Comment

You mention that tone is not the issue, that it's the 20 watt difference between the competing rigs. This should make absolutely no difference in overall volume. Once you reach a ertain volume, extra wattage gives a very marginal gain in actual volume. I own heads ranging from 30 to 100 watts. My 30 watt head is every bit as loud as my 100 watt heads, the difference being the tightness of the low end and more importantly headroom.
                            You absolutely need mids to cut through a live mix. Lows compete with the bass and drums, and highs are very directional tend to get washed out by cymbals and sucked up by environmental acoustic factors (large crowds, ceiling tiles, etc.) Mids are where a guitar truly stands out in a mix. The only thing you are really sharing this sonic real estate with are vocals (keyboads too if you're in that kind of band). Even if your tone sounds fantastic to you when you are dialing it in, frequently it will suffer when thrown into a live mix. I typically use a very different tone when i'm playing alone at home versus live with a band. A great example of this is the video of Pink Floyd tracking Dark Side. David Gilmour's isolated solo tone in the studio sounds terrible to me (very ratty and midrangey) but when you here it in the overall mix it is amazing.

Comment

A word about the powerblock by itself... I forgot the power supply for my POD XT and had to practice using just the Powerblock last night. It cuts very well... I only had it just under halfway up and had to keep turning down. It does not however have near enough gain for hard rock/metal applications. It had a nice low gain Marshall crunch thing going on with the gain close to maxed out. It did not lose any definition either.

I had a hell of a time playing solos... that thing showed EVERY little mistake I made!

Comment

Old laney AOR.
                                Cheap, reliable, Tube, and sounds great
                                "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Working...
                                X