Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to tighten up a tube combo amp? Preamp tubes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to tighten up a tube combo amp? Preamp tub

What is it about really nice old ANYTHING that prevents them from being faithfully reproduced?!?!?! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] JCM800s, Gibson Les Pauls made the way they made them in the 50s, etc. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, I'd say the old tubes were just made heavier, with better metals inside, and the american and german ones were higher quality as far as construction. there was a high military demand, so they had to be high quality. After the tubes werent used for the military, the need for high end ones dropped a lot I guess. So the US companies slowly got away from making them and left it to the lesser counrties to make them for the needs people had.

Making tubes, is sort of an ecological problem too I guess, I think there are some toxic materials in them as far as metals and coatings and the gasses. Seems I heard that. So, for a while, the only tubes made were in backwards countries with low regulatory laws, and made with less than desireable conditions, materials, and quality.

Things are looking up and production techniques and quality are really improving as there is a great demand anyore. We may see new tubes kicking ass. New factories popping up all over the place.

Where there is a demand, someone will step up and make a better mousetrap.

Comment

"I actually don't use very much gain at all, and I actually LIKE a lot of mids! Guess I'm screwed there."

I don't use alot of gain either. My single rec was a bit flubby (I like the vintage voicing for the music I play. The modern voicing is tighter, but kinda harsh), but I use an SD1, DS1, or EQ pedal (depending on my mood) to tighten it up... does the trick. Of course, I turn the pedal distortion to zero or maybe 1, but keep the level high. The onboard gain is on maybe 9 - 11 o'clock.

Trying different tubes might help you out, but tubes alone are not going to give you a Marshall like crunch/tightness. I've tried JJ's, EH's, Mesa, Mullard Reissues, 12AT7 etc... I didn't get things tightened up until I started using an Overdrive. This goes for my F50 as well.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          What I need is an ultra low wattage 1x12" Marshall-type tube combo that has independent controls (including the all-important reverb) on two channels and be $500 or under.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you tried a Marshall JCM2000/DSL201? It fits all your criteria.

I had one, didn't like it too much, but you might. The clean channel was really nice but the crunch channel had no balls. Lots of bottom though.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            My single rec was a bit flubby (I like the vintage voicing for the music I play. The modern voicing is tighter, but kinda harsh), but I use an SD1, DS1, or EQ pedal (depending on my mood) to tighten it up... does the trick. Of course, I turn the pedal distortion to zero or maybe 1, but keep the level high. The onboard gain is on maybe 9 - 11 o'clock.

[/ QUOTE ]
            I think this is the best suggestion in the thread. (that or start shopping for a new amp!)

Comment

You'll get a much tighter tone if you use a SEALED extension cabinet, and disconnect the open back one... a lot of that flabbiness is the open back construction. I have an ADA 2x12 splitstack that sounds great, and they are cheap and really portable.

Comment

Re: How to tighten up a tube combo amp? Preamp tubes?

One other thing - since it's a derivative of the mark series... cut the hell out of the bass control and put a graphic EQ in the loop if the amp doesn't already have one. Every mark and caliber series mesa I've owned (over 1/2 dozen) got flabtacular with the bass anywhere over 4. These amps sound great, but why the hell mesa didn't just cut the value of the bass potentiometer (control) to where you can't flub it up so bad is beyond me.

Tubewise, if you aren't maxing the gain, try a 5751 in V1 position. For a brighter tone I'd recommend a telefunken, but they are expensive as hell and would probably go microphonic pretty quick in a mesa. In some amps the JJ preamp tubes tend to have a little more high end, or the RCA 7025s that John mentioned. Chinese 'silver specials' might work ok too. For the EL84s, they are pretty cheap for a pair - I'd say get a pair of Ei and JJs, see what you like best. Sovteks are hardy EL84s, but they tend to sound like crap in most amps.

Pete

Comment

I think you are simply experiencing Mesa tone. You may be able to do a bit with preamp and/or power amp tubes, but the characteristics that you do not care for are the nature of the beast with most Mesa designs, and also are what makes for the warm and smooth lead tone you mention (which you won't get from a Marshall).

Comment

Working...
                  X