Engl, Laney, Boogie, or XXX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Engl, Laney, Boogie, or XXX

ENGL first, then XXX, then Laney, then Mesa way down at the bottom.

Comment

who has a fireball...Pete you played them...I like a VERY smooth high gain structure , very tight bottom end and what power tubes come stock in that head..

I don't like the fuzzyness of a recto or the sag of a Boogie..even my MrkII was cool in tone..but a little too much "sag" for my taste....

as you know I am in love with my Uber until I really crank it pretty hard...that's when the EL34s color and changes my preamp tone I love so much..

is the fireball as tight and smooth as the Uber...

Bottom line compared to the Uber ,,,how does the fireball rate...

I don't care about clean just balls to the wall crunch...

what say you.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Bill - I played a powerball, actually - and figured it was the 'big brother' of the fireball. I didn't really like it that much - it didn't have a whole lot of 'tubiness' going on. For the bucks, I think you get a better heavy tone from a HD47 or Vetta. *awaiting the flames* Just my opinion though. The thing I like about the Mesa is the sag factor - mine is pretty tight set to bold voltage and solid state rectifiers, but I run the bass pretty low. Rectos sound like shit when you dime the bass and treble, cut the mids and run a lot of presence.

Pete

Comment

Oh, btw Bill - I think a Soldano avenger would really be up your alley. You really need to check one out. It outchunked the Uber big time, imho... it's one channel but it's a channel from hell. Sully and I both were pretty amazed by the avenger's tone.

Pete

Comment

that Jack Frost guy uses fireball heads.

The fireball supposedly is even more aggresive in tone than the fireball. probably because fo the lower Wattage. 70 watts...I think.

Comment

Thanks Pete..

I played The hell out that line 6 HD47..and I LIKED it...The uber setting was pretty damn genuine i must say...real dark and heavyt...same kind of "feel" of a uber..i had it up pretty dam loud too..

That Aveger sounds very Interesting ..I love the tone of the SLO 100..is it like that in tone but beefier...that I would dig..

I think a VHT Cl w Eq would be nice too...I played a combo cl w/o eq and it sounded great..not heavy like the uber...but more of a vintage VH tone on steroids..NICE!
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                who has a fireball...Pete you played them...I like a VERY smooth high gain structure , very tight bottom end and what power tubes come stock in that head..

[/ QUOTE ]

you'll like it

the mesa sagging can be overcome with some modding and i think biasing it higher ( iirc)

Comment

Ok, here you can download a song of our last work. Guitars was recorded with my Engl Fireball thru a 1960A. Keep in mind that mp3 compression ruined the sound a bit,the cd sound less sqashed and crisp. There's no compression or reverb on guitar tracks.Just a touch of eq. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    The thing I like about the Mesa is the sag factor - mine is pretty tight set to bold voltage and solid state rectifiers, but I run the bass pretty low. Rectos sound like shit when you dime the bass and treble, cut the mids and run a lot of presence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rectos sound like shit when you dime ANYTHING, except the master. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I think that's where people get into trouble with them - the eq doesn't behave like they expect it to behave, so they get frustrated.

Keep the bass knob reasonable, and they don't get muddy. Don't worry, the bass will be there, especially as you turn it up.
                    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

The EQ on my rackmount stays pretty much at noon, except I do boost the presence a bit on the orange channel - it's a lot darker than red, even with 'channel cloning' on.

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Thanks Pete..

I played The hell out that line 6 HD47..and I LIKED it...The uber setting was pretty damn genuine i must say...real dark and heavyt...same kind of "feel" of a uber..i had it up pretty dam loud too..

That Aveger sounds very Interesting ..I love the tone of the SLO 100..is it like that in tone but beefier...that I would dig..

I think a VHT Cl w Eq would be nice too...I played a combo cl w/o eq and it sounded great..not heavy like the uber...but more of a vintage VH tone on steroids..NICE!

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a VHT 50/CL and played through a friend's SLO quite a bit... the Avenger is like the SLO but meaner and more aggressive. I think you'd dig it... plus it has 6L6 tubes [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

I voted the Fireball, actually I own one. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                          And I think the Fireball sounds better than the Powerball.
                          You shouldn't judge the Fireball just because you have tried a Powerball...
                          http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

well I'm going for the fireball...it will be mine..oh yes. it will be mine.

I agree ...how can a 70 watt 2 channel amp compare to a 4 channel 100 watt powerball?

We owned a blackmore head and it was fucking excellent. And we're going back to engl now.

Comment

I heard nothing but good things about Fireball, but in the US pretty much the only chance to try out an ENGL involves breaking out the credit card. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I love the Avenger though. For me, it is everything a stock JCM-800 should have been.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                well I'm going for the fireball...it will be mine..oh yes. it will be mine.

I agree ...how can a 70 watt 2 channel amp compare to a 4 channel 100 watt powerball?

We owned a blackmore head and it was fucking excellent. And we're going back to engl now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I figured the powerball, since more people seem to like it, and its higher up on the food chain, would be a better amp. Most amp manufacturers have more in common with their amps with a similar sounding name than others...

Mesa Dual RECTIFIER, single RECTIFIER, triple RECTIFIER all have more in common soundwise than not.

I figured PowerBALL and fireBALL would share some sort of heritage in the tones... guess I'm wrong. But from what the powerball that I played through sounded like, I probably wouldn't want to give any of the Engl amps much of a chance. I figure if you want a solid state sound, you'll buy a solid state amp - and that's what they sound like to me. Again, my opinion only.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                                X