speaker to go with an astroverb head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speaker to go with an astroverb head

hi. i was recently given a soldano astroverb head. it's okay, nothing spectacular but not crappy enough to dump...anyway, i use it with an open back 1x12 cabinet. currently the cab has an EVM12L speaker. i don't think it is the best choice for this amp. normally i love the EVM, but it makes the soldano sound "dead".

i like a darker sound, and obviously the soldano is on the bright side (to me anyway). i'm thinking about swapping out the EVM for something else i have lying around. i can and probably will waste a day just swapping speakers, but any opininons anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. here's what i have to choose from:

JBL D120
    JBL G12S
    Mesa "vintage" black shadow
    weber 12A150-T
    eminence legend

these are the speakers i have lying around the house. like i said i like a darker tone, but i want the amp to be alive as well. any other suggestions would be appreciated too.

thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Re: speaker to go with an astroverb head

Its going to be VERY hard to make an Astroverb sound dark. I had one. I have 1 x 12's, 2 x 12's, and 4 x 12's some open back some closed with a mix of celestions, eminence, Peavey, Black Shadows and Altec Lansings and I couldn't get my Astroverb to darken up at all. It was as shrill as all hell. Good thing for me.. I like shrill.
    Out of your choices, the Mesa Black Shadow is probably the best choice in a closed back 1 x 12 cabinet. Its still gonna be shrill though.

Comment

great!!!! not really...thanks though. i guess i'll get that loop installed and run an extra EQ. i'll try the mesa first. thanks.

any other suggestions?
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        great!!!! not really...thanks though. i guess i'll get that loop installed and run an extra EQ. i'll try the mesa first. thanks.

any other suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to get a loop installed in mine but I was advised against it. It was pretty expensive if I recall and they couldn't even install the "good" loop. Soldano advised against it. I don't think Mike is a fan of effects loops!
        Try the Mesa speaker. All of my Black Shadow equipt cabinets tend to be pretty dark.

Comment

Also, a safe impedance mismatch might darken it up a bit too. If I recall, the Astroverb has a 16 ohm speaker out. Try throwing an 8 ohm speaker in the 16 ohm jack. You will have to turn her up louder but it should warm things up a bit.

Comment

yeah i'm using 8ohm speakers now. bill sundt at soldano told me 150-200 for the loop, but didn't advise against it....hmmm....
            GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Mark, I really like mine, wasnt it here last time you were here? Actually, I guess I should check my closet before I ask where you got yours.... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I play mine through a 4x12 with greenbacks and really like it. The tubes are all Mesa, dont know if that makes a difference or not. It takes pedals like a mother too. I REALLY like mine. (did I mention that?)

Shawn
              Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

The Astroverb is a nice amp. I miss mine.

Comment

I have the 1x12 combo with stock speaker which I *think* is the Eminence and it's definitely NOT dark, I personally like it though.

Comment

I ran mine (This was JG Cables head at one point (And I miss it too but I had the SLO at the same time and the SLO covered all of the territory so it stayed) with Reverend all tone 1250 speakers in an old Crate Cab 4 x 12 (closed back) (Sounded very full and open with good harmonics), Eminence speakers (2 Carvin 2 x 12 closed back cabs) and with 2 1 by 10 cabs loaded with eminence speakers (Craptacular). THe Astroverb head sounded best with the Carvin cabs. They were the older 150 watt a side carpet covered cabs. It had a Full tight bottom with this setup.Fat with lots of crunch. Not what you are looking for though. With the presence and treble up quite a bit and the mids sunk it got a really nice sizzly crunch. Kind of on the Darker side if I set it up like this but not Rectifier dark by any means. Tight distortion though you will be diming it.

Comment

jj tubes might darken it up and those gt mullard reissues are dark sounding those might help.

Comment

Re: hot mod in an astroverb

well i found a good EQ setting that darkens it up with the EVM speaker. it just need a little more volume. took it to a jam tonight and cranked it and i was in HEAVEN. still like my rivera's better, but for a tiny little amp in a lower enviroment the astroverb is great.

now i have another question....would a soldano hot mod kick this little boy into total meltdown? or would it just be overkill? i'd like to have a little more gain on tap for smoother sustain. would the hot mod do it?
                        GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Working...
                        X