Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Suggest good boosts!

Ah...
    It's a little too much out of my budget brand new, and second hand ones are rare though [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
    I'm buying it tomorrow. I have the choice between
    DOD EQ
    DOD YJM (I'll try it)
    Boss SD1
    Digitech Bad Monkey.
    Which do you think would be the most appropriate and transparent, without too much noise and with decent bypass?

Comment

Honestly, that Bad Monkey is very good, especially for the price.

But if you want transparency and low noise, a tubescreamer type pedal is definately the way to go. I have a Maxon OD-808, and it works nicely with my Laney AOR 100. It really brings out the true nature of the pedal, which is slightly SRV grainy( I actually prefer the sound of the OD9, its smoother and clearer IMO, but I found that out AFTER I bought the OD-808, because every SRV wannabee wets themselves over the 808's . . .which are totally overrated.)

But the OD-808 is very nice, VERY low noise (1 third of the noise of the SD-1, I used to have one of those noisy devils. . .I dont miss it AT ALL) and it fattens and smoothens up the tone. I highly recommend.

Finding one is gonna be a bit harder, since places like Guitar Center refuse to carry quality products. They carry all the garbage of the music world. . . but they got cheap strings! Thats the only thing GC is good for [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

And between the SD1 and the Bad Monkey, which is going to give me the more boost and silence..? I can't really afford the Maxon.

Comment

That MXR Microamp (Think that's what it's called) works pretty damn good. Friend of mine was looking for a boost for his solos live and this was the first pedal that actually made a huge difference. He uses it with his Randall setup and I swear I've never heard a lead tone stick out like that. It wasen't shrill or anything, but boosted the signal enough and kept it clean

Comment

Are you looking for a clean boost? Any of these overdrive pedals is going to color your tone pretty significantly.
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I got an SD1 in the end. It boosts just enough and doesn't sound bad as an OD so I am happy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              Microamp is too much and looks easy to build, I'll try one soon enough.

Comment

way back in the day Electro Harmonix made something called an LPB-1
                This thing was just a risitor and a batt. but man it made our little amps crank!

Comment

Save your money and get the Fulltone Fatboost. You won't be sorry.
                  Screamin'

Comment

Best boost I've played is my Z Vex Super Hard On. Way better than my MXR Micro Amp.

Comment

I recently built a Rangemaster "treble booster" copy and it's as close to transparent as I've come across. It's not thin or piercing like you might expect from the name. With a clean amp it just adds volume and a little bite. With an overdriven amp it really adds just a bit of extra gain and some clarity at the same time. I've been using mine a bunch since I built it. I like the SD-1 and various tubescreamers too, but none of those are transparent at all. They can sound great with the right amp and can do overdrive with a clean amp, but they do significantly change the tone also.

Why are you looking for a distortion pedal too? I think any kind of distortion is just going to sound like mush with the Laney. I have a J&H pedal. It's a great pedal for a clean amp and the overdrive works wonderfully in front of a pushed amp (basicly just a tubescreamer), but the distortion is worthless in front of a distorting amp, like every other distortion pedal I've ever tried. I'd probably go with the overdrive or boost plus an EQ rather than the distortion pedal.

Comment

Working...
                      X